remote starters anyone ?...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not to nitpick...

But to read that statute, if I had a remote start I could argue that I complied with all the requirements of the statute, and then later restarted it with the remote start...

Nowhere does it say the engine can't be restarted after it has been stopped. It might not fly in a court of law, but then again it might. If the statute read that "the engine must remain off while unattended" then it would be more clear cut.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "shall permit it to stand unattended without first stopping the engine"

I suppose if you remote start it and stand in your driveway the whole time then it works. Otherwise I see that text as pretty clear. I am sure the cop and the Judge would too.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The statute text does not seperate private from public property.

Same with DUI, reckless, etc. Not saying you would really have a problem with it in the middle of a 4,000 acre ranch. But understanding exactly what the law says might keep you from trouble in certain cases. ;-)
Old 12-06-2005, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I love remote start...

Used to have it on my Talon. I highly recommend it. If you get it installed on a manual (illegal), make sure you get into the habit of never leaving it in gear.

I had an ex boyfriend who remote-started his car right into the wall of our apartments. It was hilarious... but probably not to him at the time =)
Old 12-06-2005, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My point is that I would have 'first' stopped it. Then left it unattended. Then restarted it...

I think that complies with the letter of the law, since I stopped it before I left it standing unattended. It doesn't say it can't be restarted once its left standing unattended, or that the engine has to remain stopped while standing unattended. Anyway, it's certainly no lock, but I don't think it's a well written statute. I think a good lawyer could make a case.

Anyway, it's probably pretty unlikely for a cop to give you a ticket for leaving the car running in your driveway. Unless you've got a loud exhaust that has pissed off a neighbor who calls or something.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I would only do it on a manual if it was able to be automatically disabled while in gear.

Is that possible?
Old 12-06-2005, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Not that I've ever heard of....

But I got mine installed 5 years ago, so maybe they've added more options.

But since installation shops will refuse to install it on manual cars still, I doubt the option has been created.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Our HOA went through this with Thornton in '03................

we had four cars stolen within 3 months. Thornton PD issued citations to three different people for allowing cars to idle after that. One morning I hit the remote start, got ready to leave for work. When I came out, a Thornton cop was writing me a ticket, he explained why, I showed him the remote, showed him the door was locked, and also showed him that even if they got in, as soon as they touched the brake the truck would die and not restart. He tore up the ticket. I have been told by CSP and my insurance company that a remote start which will cause the vehicle to die if the brake is touched without the key in the ignitionis still in compliance with the law.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:01 PM

FYI, if it's so illegal, then I know a few PD's that are violating the law.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 42-4-108. Public officers to obey provisions - exceptions for emergency vehicles

It's a long statute so I'll let you look it up. By law they can do some things that the rest of us can't.

Quick Reply: remote starters anyone ?...