Safe PSI for homebrewers at 5000ft+ with stock fuelling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Safe PSI for homebrewers at 5000ft+ with stock fuelling?

I don't have an AFR yet, and I haven't delved into Vag enough to really hone my knock voltage logging skill. But man I still want to go faster and get some use out of these k04's. I can't believe it's been a year already since install.

So, for a quick, hipshot question, does anyone have a quick, hipshot answer? I am rocking a TCD and parallel MBC on APR stage I. I have 440 delphis and an FPR waiting to go in once I get a wideband and get smart on logging/lemmi, but for right now, what can I get away with and not scorch a piston?

BTW I replaced B1S1 02 tonight along with install of the parallel MBC, and two, 11PM runs up to 100 at 18psi are feeling pretty good. But, I feel like the dentist in Marathon Man, asking, "Is it safe"?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe I'm a pansy but I'd run stock boost until you get ECUx or a wideband to see what's going on

with your car. You're probably fine running the Stage I chip but I wouldn't go any higher on the boost levels. Here's the post that makes me think that:<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2600497.phtml">Click</a></li></ul>
Old 11-30-2007, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 18 psi is about the limit I believe. I was running about 17psi on stock injectors with 5bar FPR

In the end, you have to log your AFR's and check CF's and see where things are at. It's not as easy as it sounds, I've been at it for months and getting things just right is elusive.

For an extra measure of security, I would recomend getting the GIAC supertweaker file. While it's not fail safe, allowing the ECU to pull boost as well as timing to correct for "bad things" going on isn't a bad idea. I feel a lot beter about running things like that compared to when I was running a standalone MBC. Makes it harder to tune for good power, but a good trade off for the extra safety.

Just my $0.02 worth, but like others you really don't know what's safe until you learn what it's doing. If your program is designed around stock injectors at 14psi then you might be pushing it at 18, or you might not. I would GUESS that a program set for 14 at sea level would be fine at 18 here because of the thinner air. It's a pretty expensive gamble if you're wrong though! ;-)
Old 11-30-2007, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

30psi will safely get you new turbos;-)
Old 11-30-2007, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks Chuck and Dean... and Cole, please no new turbos!....

So Chuck, the GIAC supertweak isn't available for the allroad, and new software is a tough one to swallow anyway, due to a major expenditure. The good news is that I'm engaged, but the flipside is that I'm, well, I'll say that my more expensive motorsports projects are on hold for a while.

I think I may bite the AFR bullet here sooner, rather than later. Just, where can I fit another freaking round gauge in this car? I'm half-ready to holesaw the dash, as much of a PITA as the boost gauge was.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. It seems like 17ish should be safe, but I honestly won't mess with anything until I can log. I guess, for now, I'll pull the TCD (since I made it removable), and do some fuelling work next week, and maybe just maybe I'll slip a UEGO in under the radar.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default ENGAGED!!!!!

Congrats! I guess Costa Rica was good then. I would say get a wideband asap.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I don't think its the boost pressure as much as volume. I know guys that have been running 25 psi

at this altitude for a while with no issues. I think that if you tune your engine aggresivly, the boost pressure won't be as much of an issue as volume. Its the same reason k03s can hold 18+ psi (GIAC stage 2)until the engine gets up into the higher RPM range. The engine will need more volume to maintain that PSI for the higher volume at that RPM(or load). I am no pro, so correct me if I am wrong. If you run lean, that will eat your turbos quicker than your engine due to heat.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks! And i now crave a wideband, so i must purchase.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default He's talking about stock fueling though. There's no way he'd want to run 25 psi on that. Injectors

are already close to being maxed out on K03s with Stage I software. More airflow with K04s need more fueling and those stock injectors can't even come close to giving it. Running lean would blow up his motor before the turbos. The turbos would only blow if they weren't getting proper amounts of oil, FOD (foreign object damage), or they were spun beyond their efficiency levels. I would actually be scared to run 25 psi up here at our altitude. The turbos are spinning at greater levels to make 25 psi then they would be at sea level. That wouldn't make for good long-term reliability. I would buy ECUx, the Innovate wideband from Vast, 42lb. Green Giant injectors, a 3 bar FPR, and tune it yourself using your AFR data from the wideband and ECUx logs. Tweak the software with Lemmiwinks (pulling/adding fuel) to spike 23 psi and level off from there. That's the route I'm going next year. Those parts/software go for around $1K. It looks like you're running APR software, so I'd sell that and get the GIAC software as that's more suitable for homebrew. As Nigel proved, we don't really need to upgrade the stock airbox or MAF to get good numbers up here in this thin air. Homebrew is cheap compared to buying a tuner's Stage III software Look at AWE's fueling -- $2700!!!!! Do it now
Old 12-01-2007, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Even 18psi is probably pushing it on stock fueling...

With K04's, 18psi is good for at least 260g/s on a stock MAF. That means you need about 1900cc/min of fuel to keep things safe. Stock injectors are maxed at 2100cc/min, so 18psi would be pushing things to the limit.
That said, I ran around with K04's at 18psi and stock fueling on APR Stage II software for years and the car ran great. I didn't even need an MBC for the APR software. The X-chip did need it, tho. You also won't need the TCD until you get the 440's in and turn the boost up more.

Quick Reply: Safe PSI for homebrewers at 5000ft+ with stock fuelling?