So how do I transfer old personalized plates onto my current car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So how do I transfer old personalized plates onto my current car?

I have the old plates, but don't have the old registration that goes with them. Last time the plates were used was 3 years ago. I'd like to use them on my current car.

Can I just bring the plates into the DMV and transfer them over?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: So how do I transfer old personalized plates onto my current car?

We just went through this, they expire like 18 months after the reg expires. You can call the DMV and they can confirm if they are still yours. If they are it should just be a matter of going down there and paying any fees needed.

We had not gone beyond the expiration, but were close. The real issue is your plate may have been re-issued.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just call any DMV? I doubt they've been reissued, it's not a common plate at all...
Old 10-21-2008, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Just any DMV? I doubt they've been reissued, it's not a common plate at all...

Well we are in Arapahoe County and that is where the plates were last registered so that is who we called. Since they will probably need to go off the old reg and I know you moved to Denver earlier this year you will probably need to start at the county they were previously registered in.

I'm sure it will be hit and miss, we called a few different times over the course of the year+ and got different responses, some friendly. some rude. Typical DMV type stuff.

Trying to remember back, it was juts a few months ago, one person said we would need to complete new paperwork, but then when we called again they said we would be fine. Got the little lady in quite a panic for about a week.

When Renee went down she had no trouble getting the car registered, but again, we were still in the "window" that they gave us.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've taken my plates (non personal) to the DMV and they transferred them with no issues...

Of course, I think the plates were still "current" when I tranferred them, but don't know about older plates. I don't think it should be an issue as long as they hadn't been reissued to another vehicle.

I think all the plates on my current vehicles (motorcycle as well) were on the vehicle that it had replaced.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Called the DMV, they checked and the plate is still available.

Told me all I had to do was take it to the local DMV and re-register it.

Sweet!
Old 10-22-2008, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I went through this many years ago...

Personalized plates were 4 years out and wanted to use them again, but didn't want to pay 4 years of back registration fees. DMV told me I had to "re-apply" for them with the personalized plate application form. Did that and got a reply from the state that the plates "were already issued". Returned to DMV in person and explained to them that, yes, they were "Already Issued", but they were issued to ME! Luckily I got someone who knew what they were talking about and they told me that I had to write "RENEWAL" on my application form. I did that and got a letter in the mail again, this time telling me that my plates were ready to pick up.

I had the stamped Green/White plates and when I reapplied for them, the issued the crappy "smooth" White/Green plates. I just asked the lady at the DMV NOT to apply the month/year stickers for me and when I got home, I just applied them to my old plates.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Excellent! You got ahold of the right person then!