Suggestions for a fun, scenic drive near Boulder

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for a fun, scenic drive near Boulder

Hey Folks:

I'm new to Boulder and I'm thinking of taking a drive tomorrow with the family to tool around in the mountains. I figure something around 2-3 hours. Anyone have suggestions for a stunning drive, scenery etc.? Hopefully something, with a nice stop midway for lunch and fun. I hear Estes Park is a tourist trap - true?

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2004, 06:43 PM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

Search for a post of mine in the last three months about scenic byways. Great website.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default blam

<ul><li><a href="http://www.coloradobyways.org/Main.cfm">http://www.coloradobyways.org/Main.cfm</a</li></ul>
Old 08-14-2004, 07:00 PM

Default thanks for the link

Looking at the map looks like 119 to 72 to 36 takes me thru Nederland then to Estes then home - is that a pretty cool drive? 72 looks like it might be fun. How many lanes are these roads?
Old 08-14-2004, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Estes Park the city is worthless, Rocky Mountain natl park is incredible

if you're going to have the allroad (or anything with more clearance than my dropped A4) and have a bit of patience, go to Rocky Mountain natl park and take Fall River Rd to Trail Ridge Rd. Fall River is a beautiful one way dirt road that connects from the floor of the park all the way to the top of Trail Ridge (which is the highest continually paved road in the country). The road is well kept and gorgeous the entire way. The only downside is that flatlander tourists get near the top where there is big exposure and freak out, then do 5mph to the top without letting traffic by. If you can get up there during non-peak times it's the most memorable drive in that area of the state, in my opinion. Will probably take 3-4hrs round trip.

Another option is to do fall river to trail ridge, then continue through the park to Grand Lake Lodge, then either turn around or take I-70 back to the Boulder area. Grand Lake is the biggest natural lake in the state, and the lodge is in a nice location- their root beer and buffalo burgers are fantastic although the service isn't usually that great. I took my GF on this route for her first time in the Rockies, and she was totally blown away. You get to see the continental divide, elk herds, bighorn sheep, alpine lakes and incredible peaks.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:13 PM

Default fall river to trail ridge

From Boulder I assume I'd take 36 to the park? How long do you think this would take?
Old 08-14-2004, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 72 / 7 is a really pretty highway

it's a nice way to get to RMNP or Estes Park (which is right next to Rocky Mountain), but it'll take maybe 20-30 minutes longer than 36. Between the Fall River Road route I suggested and the Peak to Peak, Fall River and RMNP win hands down. You can even combine them and do 119-&gt;72-&gt;RMNP But if you're looking for a quicker drive, 72 is very nice.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 36 to the park is the fastest way

All the way from Boulder to Grand Lake Lodge going through the park will be somewhere around 2 hours each way, faster or slower depending on traffic. The Fall River Road approach is one of the gem drives of the entire state. Most people don't know about it and it is absolutely gorgeous. Well worth the time, in my opinion, even if you have to squeeze an hour or so from someplace else. There are also tons of good and short hikes in RMNP-a ranger will give you a map when you drive in.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default by the way, are you from Nor Cal?

Just noticed your sig pic. I just got back from a road trip out to Santa Cruz to visit a cousin and stopped in the Tahoe area on the way out.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:28 PM

Yep, just moved to Boulder

Quick Reply: Suggestions for a fun, scenic drive near Boulder