Tales from I-25 - Yesterday's sagas of flying tires and Staties passing on the right (long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tales from I-25 - Yesterday's sagas of flying tires and Staties passing on the right (long)

Some fun I had commuting to and from a client-site yesterday during the windstorm in NoCo:

1. On the way up, extremely strong wind coming from the north (northerly, right? I can never get that straight). I am behind two pickups, the foremost being stacked quite high with large truck tires, the latter being a Ranger... All of a sudden there is a wall of black as the tires all fly off the back of the front truck. One looks to have landed on the hood of the Ranger in front and another has landed under it, jamming the vehicle's front up as it skids off the road to the right. Quick jink around the tires just missing one and I am clear. Check the rear view and it looks as though everyone is OK (excepting vehicles and tires rolling on the road and off into fields) and continue on my merry way.

2. On the way back, I am behind a state trooper almost the entire way, doing the speed limit. If anyone has any question of whether the left lane for passing law is being enforced, this should elicit some groans: the trooper repeated passes vehicles doing under the speed limit, on the right. And usually its not until they see that they've just been passed by a trooper that they move over. If even then... re-enforcing a number of opinions regularly expressed here: a)the left lane for passing law is certainly not being enforced (at least not by this guy), and b)people never look in their rear view mirrors.

It is a sad Statie of Affairs...
Old 04-25-2007, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Slow left hand lane drivers would probably count as one of my pet peeves. Bummer no action.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If speed limit on Hwy is not marked 70+mph, they can clogg up the left lane all they want, IIRC
Old 04-25-2007, 11:51 AM

Left Lane Law is for highways with posted limit of 65+
Old 04-25-2007, 11:54 AM

I-25 in Northern CO is marked 75 and sign posted with the "slower traffic use right lane" signs
Old 04-25-2007, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I guess we have to wait till this evening to see what Eric says
Old 04-25-2007, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wish they would change the signage to "Keep right except to pass"

same general purpose of don't linger in the left lane, but the focus is different than saying "Slower traffic use right lane."

Utah is the same way of using "slower traffic". Back east they use "Keep right", not that it helps that much, but I do prefer that wording.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:10 PM

I agree... maybe becuase I am an east coaster too
Old 04-25-2007, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

:taps foot:
Old 04-25-2007, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Chaps my hide

The problem is there are way too many people out there who are completely oblivious to their surrounds while behind the wheel. I stopped riding my motorcycles on the street for this very reason. I mean, how do you NOT notice the 10 cars riding your *** as you fart along in the left lane? I really wish CSP would heavily enforce this law. If I were CSP I'm pretty sure that's all I would do.

Quick Reply: Tales from I-25 - Yesterday's sagas of flying tires and Staties passing on the right (long)