Tint Warning...Westminster Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint Warning...Westminster Sucks

Sat. afternoon, while on my way home from helping my Dad, I got stopped by Westminster PD solely because the window's on my Dakota are tinted too dark. Initially the cop said it was because I ran a red light, but while he was talking to me, he commented that my windows are tinted really dark.

My front doors are at 30%, my back doors are solar glass with a 20% tint, the side windows on my topper are 5%. He had to call another cop to the scene who had a light meter. They checked all my windows, found my fronts are legal, my rear windows and topper windows are illegal. I explained that the reason the back doors are tinted so dark is to protect my dog when she is in the car from too much heat.

The cop who originally stopped me said he was going to cite me, the one who showed up with the tint meter was a Sgt. I explained that I drive through Thornton, Commerce City, Brighton, and Denver regularly and they have never stopped me for the tint (Brighton and CC are sticklers for tint laws). I also opened the back of my topper and showed them that I since I go off-roading, I carry a lot of tools and such in the back, and having the dark windows prevent "prying" eye's from turning into thieving fingers.

The two cops dicussed it, and settled on a written warning for the tint on my topper, but wrote me a ticket for tint violation for the back doors. Mandatory court appearance, but not until Oct., $150.00 fine. According to the Sgt. I'll have to have my windows stripped and retinted legally before then.

Just a warning to all.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It's interesting that you can have regulations for tint on the side windows of a truck topper

when you can buy truck toppers that don't even have side windows. :-\
Old 08-05-2007, 07:18 AM

didn't think about that until you brought it up
Old 08-05-2007, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

that's the first thing I thought too
Old 08-05-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Talked to my B-I-L who's a cop today.........

He's kinda surprised they did anything at all about this.

The explanation behind the warning for the topper windows when a solid side topper is available is this. Because it has windows, it falls into a different catagory of the law. Stupid, incredibly stupid, but that's the law, so I'll deal with it. He suggested I go to my Vet and maybe another and see if they will write me up something similar to a prescription saying that I need the dark tint for my dogs safety.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, that's it....blame it on Westminster. They suck.

I got stopped by Westminster PD solely because the window's on my Dakota are tinted too dark.

the cop said it was because I ran a red light
Old 08-05-2007, 03:36 PM

Default **sigh** Here we go again................Your right Pat it's all my fault

I have no clue how to drive, please let me know when your scheduling your driving school so I can attend and learn. BTW, in the last 9 yrs I've driven a hair over 1.1 million miles, maybe you need to retrain me, how many have you driven?

Notice, I never again mentioned the red light that I supposedly ran. I even brought it up to both cops, the reason I said it was supossedly, is that under Colorado Revised statues, too dark windows is not a primary offense. The cop thought my windows looked too dark, but needed a better reason to stop me. But how interesting is it that the windows have been that dark for 6 yrs and I've never been stopped or had them questioned before.

Hence no other ticket was issued, and as I told the cop, in order to have run the red light I would have had to rear-end the car in front of me.

But your right Pat, it's my fualt, I need to learn how to drive. Now, schedule your effing driving school to retrain me of screw off!!! Between you, Alex, and a couple of others I'm done playing games, the ball is in your court, since your the expert, you teach or shut your effing mouth and ignore my posts or threads that I start.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

ygm
Old 08-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

what is the law on tint anyways, how dark can you go here in CO?
Old 08-05-2007, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hmmmmm...

My question is why do they care in the first place? I understand if somebody looks suspicious and they need a reason to pull them over but we're talking about Eric in a Dodge Dakota!! Then again you do seem to attract a whole lot of law enforcement attention for no apparent reason my friend. I drive a blacked out RS6 with no front plate and I have never once been harassed by the police the 6 years that I've lived here....AND I'M BROWN!! You driving around with "F*CK THE POLICE" on your bumper or what? Anyway, I thought the tint law only applied to your two front windows anyway.

Quick Reply: Tint Warning...Westminster Sucks