Tire question...bait and switch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire question...bait and switch?

So my wife ordered a set of Kumho ECSTA ASX tires for her Subaru Outback XT Wagon. She was looking for a performance all season tire to be used in the snow and also on the mountain twisties in the summer. These tires were on order at Discount Tire in Boulder and we waited for two weeks for the tires to arrive (Discount provided a tracking number and a verbal confirmation that the tires arrived at the store). We dropped off the car yesterday morning, paid for the Kumhos and left. When I went to pick up the car later that afternoon I see they put on Yokohama YK520 tires (no one ever told us of the change, they just handed me the keys and I had to discover it for myself). I walked back into Discount and told them the wrong tires were on the car. They then tell me the Kumho's never arrived despite the fact there was a tracking number and confirmation the tires were delivered to the shop. Discount is also telling us that the Yokohama YK520 is a superior tire. I have a 30 day moneyback guarantee on the Yokohama's in case we don't like them but, does anyone here have any experience with the YK520's? Perhaps they are a superior tire, I just don't have any experience with them. At this point I feel a little bit like bait and switch, especially since they put on the Yokohama's without consulting us. And these particular Yokohama tires are sold only through Discount Tire.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd look at the ratings on TR site (try to find the similar Yoko tyre)
Old 12-21-2007, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Probably shipped them via DHL
Old 12-21-2007, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Looking at the tread pattern only...

Looks like the YK520 at Discount Tire is the Avid TRZ at Tirerack. Here's a link to the the survey ratings, ranked #1 in the Standard All Season tires but this tire does not compete with the Ecsta ASX which is an Ultra High Performance All-Season.

Rick<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR4&url=%2Ftires%2Fsurveyresults%2Fsurveyd isplay.jsp%3Ftype%3DST">TireRack Standard All Season Tires</a></li></ul>
Old 12-21-2007, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Looking at the tread pattern only...

Thanks for the legwork WagonBoy, I wasn't sure which tire the YK520 could best relate with. This helps a lot.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No problem...

I'm only working a half-day and I'm kinda procrastinating.

Regarding your tires, I think it's pretty crappy that a tire dealer would put a completely different tire on your car and not tell you. I'd go back and demand that tire you paid for.

Rick
Old 12-21-2007, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Not typical of Discount experiences I've had.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default X2. IIRC, the YK520 was more expensive. Also,

The YK520 gets mixed reviews in snow. Wasn't there somebody here who hated them?? The YK520 is a Discount Tire only tire, so I'm sure they are doing what it takes to move the hell out of them.

Customer service seems to be slipping at Discount Tire lately. They screwed up a TPMS sensor on my wife's Subie OBS a couple of weeks back, and wanted ME to pay for it. Yeah, right.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

showmedata and I both HATE those tires. Take them back. SRSLY
Old 12-21-2007, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default De's right. If you keep them, and it snows this week, you will take them back next week.

Mine are getting traded for Dunlops today (after 15 months of ownership I finally gave up on these tires).

If you wait too long, then you'll have to pay the mount&amp;balance charges - I wouldn't let them get away with that.

Quick Reply: Tire question...bait and switch?