Too bad it wasn't quattro!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dont mean to be arguing just my 2 cents....

If your spinning all four tires it doesn't matter what type of awd system you have, it depends on friction (snow height), car weight and tires on whether you will get through. The only thing that would be different is the anti slip features.

If your trying to take off fast even an A4 with a chip will easily spin all four in the snow and not take off as fast. Assuming the DSM didnt have the same hp as the S4 you have. Thats a huge difference. It doesn't take much to spin those tires on the S4 even with a little bit of water. Did the DSM and/or the S4 have anti slip controls?

My quattro will smoke my friends tahao in snow and ice. He even has all terrain tires and MUCH more weight. I dont have any anti slip features, just the common under 5mph brake pulse thing.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Looked like it was filmed in the Sierras Southern CA ?
Old 01-26-2004, 11:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I turned the corner from a stop, left at a below normal

rate, basically let the clutch out, and started to push the gas and the car started creeping, I had to feather the gas to get her to finally move, rpms never went over 3k.

My DSM had more power than the S does right now, so power levels were similar. S4 makes its torque a lot lower than the DSM did however. Spinning or not, the DSM would move, the S didn't want to move this morning. I drive the same way to work everyday, I've been on that corner in snow more times than I can count, I was shocked when the S didn't want to turn that corner and the DSM never hesitated.

IMO the AWD system DOES matter... with the viscous(sp?) coupling awd the dsm had, the rear wheels would at least squirt the *** of the car around the corner and I could straighten her out and away I would go... the S4 will not do that, period.

Weights of the 2 cars are almost identical as well, maybe 100-200 heavier with the S, tire wise they were the same, its the system, not the factors... This car hasn't seen close to the conditions the DSM saw, and I never sweated it in the DSM... now when it snows 3 inches, I have to wonder "Hmmm, can I get around this corner, if I have to stop for this light..."

The only difference between the 2 is the AWD system. I don't know much about the Audi system, other than I don't like it compared to the old DSM. It is still better than nothing, but as someone else said, its not the "be all" of AWD systems.

My DSM was literally a tank in snow, ground clearance never mattered as I just powered through everything, the S4 on the other hand, is a rock in the snow, I wasn't trying to argue either, just stating how I feel about this AWD system after coming from something maybe a bit more "primative" but solid.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agreed, I didn't know they varied so much....

As for my car and snow tires I can easily get the *** around even on dry pavement. Like sideways around if I tried. I have not driven in an awd dsm though. I am sure they are different. Like my moms truck, I cant get the *** out in 4wd at all either. Much different in my Audi. I have never questioned my A4 through snow though. Maybe somethings diffenert in our cars? I have no idea what? Even if I drop the cluch it takes off with a mild-moderate wheel spin depending on how long I am on the boost.
With all the differences I guess you can say the DSM and Quattro are not too comparable? Either way, have fun driving and glad to see your in an Audi.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Expert

MD plates
Old 01-28-2004, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Which All Season Tires are you running and dont say the stock ones ;-)

As the Pirelli P6000's are horrible in the snow...as are the BridgeStone that came on the eariler 2000 S4's.

Last March..I was out in my 92' S4 w/ Dunlop M2's..it was kick ***..but did blow out my rear differntial in the 3' of snow<ul><li><a href="http://worldsbeer.com/snowday/">http://worldsbeer.com/snowday/</a</li></ul>