RS 6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi RS 6 produced from 2020 - Present

2021 RS6 weight?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 537 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by bzcat
Just curious what's your source on M8 Gran Coupe curb weight? 4,295 lbs. doesn't sound right. I don't think it is 75 lbs. lighter than M5 as you stated. We are talking about US market cars so keep your stats on apples to apples basis.

The curb weight that US website and magazine publish for M8 Gran Coupe is 4,480 lbs. vs. M5 at 4,370 lbs. Both numbers are standard model weight because that's what FMVSS requires car companies to report - meaning in the case of BMW, those weight reflect 19" or 20" wheels and no options. If you delete the sunroof from RS7 (not sure if possible in the US but it is how they are sold in other places) you bring the weight down by about maybe 250~300 lbs. so now you are talking about 4,600 lbs. vs. M8 Gran Coupe at 4,500 lbs. That's not a big difference. The point is how the cars are equipped as standard equipment has a big influence on published curb weight. Apples to apples.

So you are comparing the curb weight of A6 sedan 3.0T premium and A6 wagon/allroad 3.0T premium plus and you are wondering why one weights 216 lbs. more? That's the point I've been trying to make... standard equipment and body style makes a huge difference in curb weight.

RS6 and RS7 are heavy, there is no denying that. The quattro drivetrain and massive wheel/tire/brake package and the lack of light weight materials all contribute to the porky number. Audi's preference for making RS cars fully loaded in the US also contribute to this problem.
You are correct. If you want to curb kerb weight (😂 ), cut out the heavy options. But Audi of America (I doubt Audi AG are thrilled) don't give you much choice, because they include so much equipment as standard. I would never buy an RS model with a massive sunroof, but AoA clearly believe no car can be sold in the US market without one. And to be fair to them, the number of people here that complain about weight are unicorns, whilst those that complain about features not being included for "free" are like locusts.

The assertion made by the earlier poster that the C8 models are significantly heavier than their competitors is wrong:
  • The Porsche Panamera Turbo S Sport Turismo weighs 2135kg.
  • The RS7 weighs 2065kg.
  • The RS6 weighs 2075kg.
  • The BMW M8 Gran Coupé weighs 1995kg.
  • Mercedes-AMG E63 S T model weighs 2000kg.
These are their base certified factory weights, on latest production versions. The figure is based on 90% fuelled, but no driver allowance (75kg). These numbers represent the core engineering of the model, before being slathered in options. It is in this spec that the factory provides performance data.

Also of note is that the Panamera comes with CCB at base spec, everywhere AFAIK. And the Panamera is on the MSB platform, not MLB Evo, and uses a hang-on clutch AWD system, and a ZF dual clutch transmission rather than a ZF torque converter. The only thing the Panamera and C8 RS models share is the engine, and they are tuned differently.

To reference the OP's query, the M8 CG has a lower payload than the others. Four heavy guys in the car, and you're at the limit. Not even a toothbrush in the trunk. Mind you, the M8 is a poorly packaged car given its external dimensions and weight. So you probably can't fit that much in it anyway.

All these cars are heavy. But at least they have a lower centre of gravity than their even heavier SUV equivalents, although most buyers around the globe seem not to care. Pity.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Did any of you guys notice the curb weight listed in the Car and Driver test of the RS6 Avant? 5031lbs!!!!! C&D sang high praises of the car. But that weight is crazy.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I guess at the end of the day is how different is the RS6 from the Panamera Sport Turismo??
Old 04-24-2022, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This debate is very enlightening, but...

This debate is very enlightening, but given the price of the vehicle and the weight, the real question to US car buyers is whether we can classify an Avant / Sport Turismo / Euro Wagon designation jargon du jour as a “work vehicle.”

This would place it under the auspices of the protections for pickup trucks and SUV’s under the IRS code.

So, if it is a “work vehicle” under IRS code, and it has a “gross vehicle weight” over 6000 pounds, then:

my business is buying it, and I am depreciating it immediately.

and that is a tremendous tax savings. 😁