RS 6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi RS 6 produced from 2020 - Present

Ordering suspended 1/4/24 for RS6, A6, S6 and others

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 09:46 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad that I ordered my RS6 performance this past June 30th and took delivery on November 20. What I don't understand is why cars that are sitting at the port can't be shipped or delivered.
Old 02-04-2024, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ehb704
I'm glad that I ordered my RS6 performance this past June 30th and took delivery on November 20. What I don't understand is why cars that are sitting at the port can't be shipped or delivered.
My understanding after reading on the Porsche forum is that there is a control until that includes a part that is manufactured in a country that is “not approved”. Therefore, a new part, or a new control unit must be manufactured to replace the unit that includes the part from a country that isn’t “approved”. Until a new part can be sourced, every vehicle that includes the “un-approved” part is on hold. I don’t pretend to know what the part is, or the country in question. I also don’t understand whether the entire control unit must be replaced, or only the part within the control unit. Either way, it’s not allowed past customs until it is rectified.

Congrats on getting your car. Timing is everything!
Old 02-08-2024, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My S5 has been in the Houston port since January 8th, and was placed on a "Quality Hold" on the 16th. Just got word from my SA that as of today it's still being held. I've already had to extend my lease twice for this car and I'm starting to wonder if the color/options are worth the wait when there are cars sitting at the 3 Audi dealerships in my city that I could literally drive home today....
Old 02-09-2024, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 538 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Since the notice specifically mentions “all MHEVs”, I wonder if it’s related to the BSG issue.
Yes, it is.
By Michael Freitag
January 22, 2024, 11:05 a.m. • from Manager Magazine 2/2024

Automotive supplier Vitesco is obviously proud of the capabilities of its belt starter generators: Instead of the alternator, a 48-volt motor is integrated into the belt drive as a starter generator, thus saving 10 percent fuel. When the Regensburg-based company, one of the colossuses of the combustion engine world with 9.1 billion euros in sales and 38,000 employees, sold the technology to the premium brand Audi in 2018, the then parent company, Continental, fabled: Audi's luxury sedan A8 would now "sail emission-free" up to 160 km/h.

Six years later, the engine alliance has developed into a dispute community - with potentially billions in damages: for Audi, for Vitesco or even for both.

The dispute over the high error rate with the starter motors has been raging internally for several months. Vitesco supervisory board chairman Siegfried Wolf (66) angered the Audi board back in the summer. He sought the support of the Porsche family, which was quite influential in Ingolstadt, in order to resolve the matter without causing any damage to Vitesco. But the problem has now escalated. Audi has called in its lawyers.
10 percent less fuel consumption? The belt starter generator from Vitesco only works if it is not defective.

Audi has been using the parts supplied by Vitesco in six- and eight-cylinder engines since 2018; The discord began with models with these drives having more and more misfires. There is talk of a good 1,000 claims per week at Audi, sometimes a few more, sometimes less. In any case, for the USA, Audi boss Gernot Döllner (55) and his people have decided on a service campaign, it should start shortly: customers can take their cars to the workshop they trust and the belt starter generators will be replaced free of charge. This is not a recall, that's what the few people at Audi who talk about the topic emphasize.

But what sounds bearable can become very annoying. Such an exchange is expensive, even the more conservative estimates are in the direction of 1000 euros. But it's a financial hit because Audi would need so many parts for such exchange offers that there wouldn't be enough for the new cars ordered. Even an order stop for six-cylinder engines in April 2023 hurt; The affected models such as the sports variants S6 and S7 bring particularly high returns.
But the dispute becomes even more problematic because Vitesco doesn't deliver as much as Audi would like. Around 6,000 units per week have been agreed and will be delivered in good times, according to Ingolstadt. Purchasing manager Renate Vachenauer (53) and now also Dirk Große-Loheide (59), who is responsible for the Volkswagen Group, tried everything to make Vitesco boss Andreas Wolf (63) and his people merciful despite the dispute.

Noticeably tough course
Now Vitesco has apparently announced that it will significantly reduce deliveries from mid-January. There is talk of a halving, neither Audi nor Vitesco want to comment on it. In any case, as of January, Audi wants to go to court if necessary.
It's not easy to imagine that a heated argument has long since broken out over the question of guilt. The original problem has been found. Vitesco, however, assumes that Audi's building regulations are to blame. The way Audi ordered, the parts simply couldn't last indefinitely. Audi sees it differently. Vitesco is responsible.

As a rule, such disputes in the German auto industry are settled peacefully. There are crisis summits, and in case of doubt the bosses get involved. The supplier increases capacity and may receive a price increase. Or, if he is in the weaker position, he gives big discounts on the next orders.

The Vitesco people, however, are considered tough. Legal director Stephan Rölleke (55) is also taking a noticeably tough course in the Hanover public prosecutor's investigation into the role of Conti and Vitesco in the diesel scandal. It seems to insiders that real power would only develop if Audi released Vitesco from liability.

The sums involved are now running dangerously high. If Vitesco actually reduces massively, Audi would not be able to utilize its plants to full capacity; Neckarsulm in particular would run at low speed. Tens of thousands of the most lucrative models might not be built. Added to this are the exchange costs, which continue to rise. Ingolstadt has cited around four billion euros as possible damage and lost profits for 2024 if Vitesco actually reduces significantly, according to the company headquarters in Wolfsburg.

This is an extreme scenario, they say in Ingolstadt. Even half would be a lot; we would try to convince customers of other engines. But the question remains as to who pays for it all. Vitesco does not wish to comment on possible provisions. At the end of the third quarter of 2023, the group reduced the short-term and long-term provisions for other risks and obligations compared to the end of 2022 to a good 540 million euros. And this also includes guarantee and liability risks.

Two supporting actors are likely to be paying close attention to what is going on in Ingolstadt and Regensburg: Georg Schaeffler (59) and Klaus Rosenfeld (57), main owner and CEO of the supplier Schaeffler. They want to take over Vitesco completely and will probably spend almost two billion euros to increase their share. It would be unthinkable if a mega-damage were to occur.
Source: Posted on motor-talk.de by airwastl87, excerpt appears to be from Manager Magazin article authored by Michael Freitag. Translated from German.
The following 4 users liked this post by Glisse:
angrypengu (02-15-2024), fujinator (02-14-2024), jbyeatman (02-12-2024), kelisko (02-14-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 346 Likes on 199 Posts

What a cluster *****.
Attached Images  

Old 02-12-2024, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

@Glisse: thank you for posting.
The following users liked this post:
Glisse (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Holy Toledo!
Old 02-14-2024, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 397 Likes on 331 Posts

Vitesco, however, assumes that Audi's building regulations are to blame. The way Audi ordered, the parts simply couldn't last indefinitely. Audi sees it differently. Vitesco is responsible.
This smells like planned obsolescence not working as planned. So Audi wanted the BSGs to be built to fail at some point, probably sometime after warranty, which Vitesco did but now that the BSGs are failing "according to plan", Audi are mad? Isn't this what they wanted?

(Sarcasm) - Okay, the parts should have waited until the warranty expires to fail without causing troubles to Audi so that they can charge the customer for the replacement of the sabotaged part. Now they are obliged to spend billions to replace thousands of failed BSGs and batteries at no charge. But this isn't Vitesco's fault. They built the BSGs following Audi's building regulations! Audi should review their sabotage plan more closely and provide Vitesco with improved building regulations that should make the sabotaging plan succeed this time.

So the part can actually be made to last. Good to know...
dezurita07 (06-17-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Talk about warranty...miscellaneous story here...at work we bought a nice coffee maker. It came with a one year warranty. I actually registered the product as the manufacturer requested and then I threw the warranty info in my desk drawer. Fast forward and our coffee maker failed. I diligently search and find the warranty information. It was warrantied for one full year. The date of failure was one year and one day. The ultimate in engineering!
dezurita07 (06-17-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Are all V6's affected? For example can you order 2024 SQ5 and are SQ5's kept at ports? Asking because SQ5 doesn't have 48V system. If they are not affected then it is definitely related to it, if they are then something else.

Quick Reply: Ordering suspended 1/4/24 for RS6, A6, S6 and others