RS 6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi RS 6 produced from 2020 - Present

What RS settings make my exhaust sound loud?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 01:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What RS settings make my exhaust sound loud?

So I’ve got 3,500 miles now on my 2022 and I need help configuring the RS and/or Drive Mode setting to make the engine exhaust louder. I want to hear the engine exhaust rumble and pop and announce its presence. All the time - but I don’t want the suspension to be in it’s harsh settings. 😁 When I adjust the RS menu settings I’m confused with the settings, Quiet, Automatic and Present. What is Present and what does that mean? And what about Automatic Mode? So I’m asking the experts here what should the RS-1 and RS-2 settings be to make the engine exhaust be at its loudest? Does the Drive Mode have to be set to Dynamic for the exhaust valves to open? Ideally, I’d like the Drive Mode to be in either Comfort or Automatic but with the exhaust still loud. I’ve searched the owners manual and couldn’t find any help there. Thanks for help here!
Old 10-23-2022, 06:35 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 363 Likes on 236 Posts

What you want is to have the valves open at all times. You have two options to accomplish this using the stock exhaust:
  1. Get a CETE Bluetooth Active Valve Control module. This will allow you to customize the exhaust valve position using the three exhaust drive select options. For example, I have my valves set to "open" regardless of the engine noise setting.
  2. Another option is to ensure the valves are open, then disconnect them. This way they never close. There is a thread somewhere on this somewhere
After that, you could buy an aftermarket exhaust. I've not done this (yet). There are many threads to be found on it though.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by PWDRSKR; 10-23-2022 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-23-2022, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PWDRSKR
What you want is to have the valves open at all times. You have two options to accomplish this using the stock exhaust:
  1. Get a CETE Bluetooth Active Valve Control module. This will allow you to customize the exhaust valve position using the three exhaust drive select options. For example, I have my valves set to "open" regardless of the engine noise setting.
  2. Another option is to ensure the valves are open, then disconnect them. This way they never close. There is a thread somewhere on this somewhere
After that, you could buy an aftermarket exhaust. I've not done this (yet). There are many threads to be found on it though.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am still experimenting with the various RS and Drive Mode settings.
Old 10-24-2022, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 345 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Clipper
So I’ve got 3,500 miles now on my 2022 and I need help configuring the RS and/or Drive Mode setting to make the engine exhaust louder. I want to hear the engine exhaust rumble and pop and announce its presence. All the time - but I don’t want the suspension to be in it’s harsh settings. 😁 When I adjust the RS menu settings I’m confused with the settings, Quiet, Automatic and Present. What is Present and what does that mean? And what about Automatic Mode? So I’m asking the experts here what should the RS-1 and RS-2 settings be to make the engine exhaust be at its loudest? Does the Drive Mode have to be set to Dynamic for the exhaust valves to open? Ideally, I’d like the Drive Mode to be in either Comfort or Automatic but with the exhaust still loud. I’ve searched the owners manual and couldn’t find any help there. Thanks for help here!
Yes, you have to be in Dynamic or set individual settings for RS1/2. Engine Sound is the valve opening setting. RS1 is basically Dynamic. Adjust Suspension in the Individual Mode to Comfort or Balanced and you'll have everything set to Dynamic (sportier transmission, louder exhaust, etc) but then softer ride.

Car will not start back up in RS mode though, so you will always have to hit the steering wheel button.

Old 10-25-2022, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you. That was just what I was looking for!
Old 11-28-2022, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from BMW ///M and Porsche, I have to agree that the DriveSelect on the RS6 is complex to figure out, I'd say more so than even our previous RS3. I'll try to shed some light based on my understanding and learnings of the RS6 DriveSelect. There are 5 fundamental settings that can be adjusted via Drive Select:

Drive: Balanced / Sport
Adjust the engine and transmission response. This can also be toggled by pulling the shift lever down. An "S" appears in front of the displayed gear in the instrument cluster and in the heads-up display when "Sport" is engaged. Sport engages throttle blips on downshifts.

Suspension: Comfortable / Balanced / Sport
Adjust the suspension firmness, responsiveness and ride height (condition dependent for vehicles equipped with the air suspension))

Steering: Comfortable / Balanced / Sport
Adjust the level of power steering assist and rear wheel steer response

Engine Sound: Quiet / Automatic / Present
Quiet mainly keeps the exhaust valves closed regardless of "Drive" mode, Automatic keeps the exhaust valves closed in "Normal" "Drive" mode and open in "Sport" "Drive" mode, Present keeps the exhaust valves open regardless of "Drive" mode

Quattro with sport differential: Comfortable / Balanced / Sport
Defines the amount of front/rear lock-up and torque split as well as the rear diff torque vectoring (if car so equipped). Comfort mainly keeps the diffs open for a smoother ride, Sport has more rear bias and stronger torque vectoring to induce more oversteer, Balanced is somewhere in the middle

The three main DriveSelect modes offer a default combination of the above in increasing degree of sportiness:
  • Comfort: Balanced Drive / Comfortable Suspension / Comfortable Steering / Quiet Engine Sound / Comfortable Quattro
  • Auto: Balanced Drive / Balanced Suspension / Balanced Steering / Auto Engine Sound / Balanced Quattro
  • Dynamic: Sport Drive / Sport Suspension / Sport Steering / Present Engine Sound / Sport Quattro

The RS1 and RS2 modes allow to configure custom combination of the above settings. RS2 exclusively also allows to pre-program the ESC to Sport-ESC if so desired. The RS1 and RS2 modes also allow to toggle different display views for the instrument cluster and HUD. These need to be set in the "Display" setting menu. The RS1/2 modes can also be directly accessed via the RS button on the steering wheel.

Another cool tidbit is that you can set the ambiance lighting to adjust its colour according to the suspension setting:
  • Comfort: pale yellow
  • Auto: White
  • Sport: Red
Old 12-03-2022, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Coming from BMW ///M and Porsche, I have to agree that the DriveSelect on the RS6 is complex to figure out, I'd say more so than even our previous RS3. I'll try to shed some light based on my understanding and learnings of the RS6 DriveSelect. There are 5 fundamental settings that can be adjusted via Drive Select:

Drive: Balanced / Sport
Adjust the engine and transmission response. This can also be toggled by pulling the shift lever down. An "S" appears in front of the displayed gear in the instrument cluster and in the heads-up display when "Sport" is engaged. Sport engages throttle blips on downshifts.

Suspension: Comfortable / Balanced / Sport
Adjust the suspension firmness, responsiveness and ride height (condition dependent for vehicles equipped with the air suspension))

Steering: Comfortable / Balanced / Sport
Adjust the level of power steering assist and rear wheel steer response

Engine Sound: Quiet / Automatic / Present
Quiet mainly keeps the exhaust valves closed regardless of "Drive" mode, Automatic keeps the exhaust valves closed in "Normal" "Drive" mode and open in "Sport" "Drive" mode, Present keeps the exhaust valves open regardless of "Drive" mode

Quattro with sport differential: Comfortable / Balanced / Sport
Defines the amount of front/rear lock-up and torque split as well as the rear diff torque vectoring (if car so equipped). Comfort mainly keeps the diffs open for a smoother ride, Sport has more rear bias and stronger torque vectoring to induce more oversteer, Balanced is somewhere in the middle

The three main DriveSelect modes offer a default combination of the above in increasing degree of sportiness:
  • Comfort: Balanced Drive / Comfortable Suspension / Comfortable Steering / Quiet Engine Sound / Comfortable Quattro
  • Auto: Balanced Drive / Balanced Suspension / Balanced Steering / Auto Engine Sound / Balanced Quattro
  • Dynamic: Sport Drive / Sport Suspension / Sport Steering / Present Engine Sound / Sport Quattro

The RS1 and RS2 modes allow to configure custom combination of the above settings. RS2 exclusively also allows to pre-program the ESC to Sport-ESC if so desired. The RS1 and RS2 modes also allow to toggle different display views for the instrument cluster and HUD. These need to be set in the "Display" setting menu. The RS1/2 modes can also be directly accessed via the RS button on the steering wheel.

Another cool tidbit is that you can set the ambiance lighting to adjust its colour according to the suspension setting:
  • Comfort: pale yellow
  • Auto: White
  • Sport: Red
Thank you for your very informative reply. I learned a lot from reading it.
The following users liked this post:
CanAutM3 (12-03-2022)