RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

2008 RS6 may be a turbo. This is not good news to me. Can anyone confirm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 RS6 may be a turbo. This is not good news to me. Can anyone confirm?

I'm surprised to hear that the RS6 may have a turbo engine, and I have to say I'm not very excited. I thought Audi went away from high performance turbo's in light of the mechanical problems with the older V6 S4, as well as the older RS4 and RS6. Turbo's in general are problematic, and eventually wear out if nothing else leaving you with a HUGE repair bill. I would much rather have a naturally aspirated V10 with a higher redline as opposed to a turbo. If I was leasing the car I wouldn't care about having a turbo engine. If I was going to put 10K miles on the car and sell it I wouldn't care either. As it is though, I want a naturally aspirated engine that will last longer and won't need expensive maintenance because of the turbo.

That said. I love my B7 S4. I've put 35K miles on it so far with no problems at all. I'm seriously considering a new RS6 when it comes out, but if it's a turbo I may have to say no unless Audi will guarantee it to 100K miles w/the extended warranty.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I would have to disagree

A naturally aspirated V10, like the M5 or even the S8, would get you the horsepower but the torque only comes in at the high end of the RPMs. Achieving over 500 hp is problematic. You're talking a Gallardo engine here. The turbos on the RS6 have proven pretty bulletproof thus far. I've got 42K on mine, no issues, and if you search this forum, you would be hard pressed to find someone with a problem related to the turbos. Audi does not do supercharging and they seem to know turbos now; I would bet that a turbo engine with around 550 hp would create a lot of smiles in this crowd...
Old 01-29-2007, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Pssssttt..Actually, its gonna be two turbos..approx 580 hp..
Old 01-29-2007, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It will make me smile. Turbo's seem safe on the RS6, I think that is one of the few things that

I personally haven't heard anyone here having a problem with them. Just give me a reliable transmission...my personal scare with my RS6...and as mine has not failed but a lot are, (the obvious DRC problem) a reliable suspension set up.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh well. Can't please everyone.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default If the Turbo in the '03 is holding up and the warranty covers it....

...then I'm ready to start bugging my dealer about creating a pre-order list with my name right at the top. My other concerns are minor. Will it be nose heavy like the '03 RS6? A V10 S6 owner could probably clear that up. Anyone? In my opinion, it would also be nice to have a stick shift option. I've never owned anything but, and having a twin turbo V10 w/TIP doesn't seem ideal to me. I'm not going to hold my breath for a stick, but it sure would be nice. That's my big gripe with the SL65 AMG, along with the fact that it's a Merc. A twin turbo V12 with an automatic tranny. LOL! I'd have more fun in a Dodge Viper for 1/2 the cost.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm not saying no.

I'm just a little paranoid of turbo's. The history of production cars w/turbo is not favorable, and Audi has had mixed results as well. The general consensus on this page seems to be that the current RS6 turbo is solid, at least at 50K. That's a good sign.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:18 PM

Default The turbos have held up quite well in the RS's

I think the big issues around the S4's ( and some A6's ) was bad oil flow in the 2000/2001's. And people just went overboard on the chipping on a lost of B5S4's. Hence I suspect why audi stepped away from it.

The RS's have better parts selected for them. I'd take another turbo RS car in a heartbeat.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

RS4 4.2 engine with Turbos....that will be nice...
Old 01-30-2007, 05:51 AM

Default Ask all those high revving E46 M3 owners about reliability. High performance is what it is...

And the turbos are generally fine. It's when you 'chip' things that the reliability generally becomes more of an issue, particularly if you continue to drive irresponsibly (i.e. not observing intelligent warm-up/cool-down procedures).

I wouldn't wory about it, though I kind of wonder why they don't ever try supercharging....

Quick Reply: 2008 RS6 may be a turbo. This is not good news to me. Can anyone confirm?