RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

6 SPEED RS6

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FateXer0
Yeah, wow...golf clap for you. What have you done besides rebuild tranny's?but I'm glad if you "were" to engineer something you would not hack things.

As I mentioned, you don't have a clue as the "pic" you saw of a "hacked" block was part of the R&D process. Something that is done when people are designing something But I bet you already knew all that, right Chief?

Now why don't you try and contribute something positive on the forums instead of always ****ting on other people's threads
Fair enough. However I'm not sh**ing on your thread, I'm merely attempting to point out deficiencies in the manner by which you executed your conversion. Is it bad? No it's your car and your project, but is it bad to sell? I'll leave that up to you and your superior engineering skills, business acumen, and hopefully ample liability insurance policy to answer that question.

So contributing in a positive manner, how many bolts are holding the transmission to the engine with your conversion? How many alignment pins are used?

Last edited by advancedautomotion; 06-21-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default conversion

Much talk has this idea generated in the RS6 community,
we have attempted with no real success as the cost to do it in what I believe is the proper way is prohibitive expensive.
doing it half way/improper/butch or just simply put making it work does not mean is done in a way that can be marketed to the public or even safe for the car.
Having free access to couple of large dealership inventories give me the opportunity to try different configurations.
This is what I found before scrapping the project.
928S4 GT clutch with Panamera flywheel with 996 TT transmission.
few bumps came apparent almost immediately.
1 the flywheel could not handle the torque and I can't/will not use a light weight flywheel on these engine as it has been counterbalanced using the weight of the f/w as a major factor, and the fact that pistons are cast not forged.
2 the clutch needs to be power assisted for this application just like the 996 clutch, no room at all in this car and installing the hydraulic pump is almost impossible, using the same pump is not realistic as they used lower pressure.
3 even changing the final drive in the 996 transmission it would need the engine moved forward 32mm, which is not possible on any Audi as already the engine has to sit ahead of the center of the wheels.
other configurations were considered but none came near what a factory manual car with these weight and power should be.
the 04 ALLROAD was the only other that almost came close as it uses an external oil cooler but the gears are way too short for this application and would use even more fuel than auto.