RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

About to pull the trigger on a new-to-me RS6...final advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to pull the trigger on a new-to-me RS6...final advice?

Very low mileage car, loaded. Nothing has gone wrong to-date with the car (although I know eventually DRC, transmission, etc. will become issues). Owner has already purchased the Audi/Fidelity extended warranty so that would get transferred to me. Spending over $50k on the car though, so I admit I do have cold feet a little bit. Logically, the premium for a lower mileage car makes sense, but seeing all the RS6s for sale in the $30s-40s does cause me a little pause.

I am also going to make a final post separately to see if anyone on this board has a car for sale...still would be preferred. (would consider any car with under 40k miles and black interior).

Thanks for any final thoughts and all the help along the way...
Old 09-07-2008, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default you sure you want to spend 50k on a 6 year old super sedan?

great car, but not a great price... Maybe if it had under 5k miles.

Ive seen some great ones for around 35k.

I would see if the seller could bend on the price a little or alot.

If not maybe wait a little while longer?
Old 09-07-2008, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: you sure you want to spend 50k on a 6 year old super sedan?

thanks for the advice. The car does have less than 5k miles. the price is high for sure, but given the mileage and condition, I am thinking that it is worth the premium (?)

I have tried very hard to come up with a better solution. I have certainly researched and posted on this board a ton.

RS4 - would be my first choice but the back seat is just too tiny for my 3 yr old and 6 month old boy...who travel with me occasionally and are only going to get bigger.

S6 - comes closest, but doesnt look, feel, or drive nearly as special as the RS6...very slab sided in my opinion, looks a lot like an A6 (no offense)

M5 - bad rear side impact crash ratings (who knew?) so its out per my wife.

C/E 63 AMG - torque monsters for sure, but not really very controlled power...chinsy gaudy styiling in my opinion, no quattro, even worse depreciation than Audi, etc.

So... if I want to purchase a fun, safe, controllable, fast German 4-door sedan, right now it just seems that an "almost new" low mileage RS6 for $50k is not a bad proposition. I would love to find one in the right condition with lower mileage for less $$, but so far have only found cars that look their age, or have the silver interior...which doesnt work for me.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You could probably find cheaper...or lower miles (funny but true...)

but it's an incredible car and I think you'd be happy with the purchase.

Did you see the one on ebay with 85 (yes, eighty-five) miles - and full warranty to 2014 - that also just had the 30K service done? Check it out, if you haven't. It's located in Portland, OR. Asking $55K. Black interior. (I have no affiliation with the seller, just did a quick search after seeing your post.)
Old 09-07-2008, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What's all the transmission jabber. I know DRC failed on Many but how many non-chipped tranys failed
Old 09-07-2008, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

same car
Old 09-07-2008, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You'll get the deal of a lifetime if you do...

I'm at 67K with essentially no problems, even chipped. Yes, there are DRC issues, but the engine is bulletproof. You won't find anyone with powerplant issues when you STFA. Tranny problems have been unusual, yes even chipped. Compare what other cars you can get for the price- nothing comes close. When I did my test drive nearly 5 years ago, it was after driving an S8, and I drove my beast home hours later. Cancelled my E55 order. Your resale value in the next few years will be horrible, but if you plan to hold on for a while, you won't have to consider that. M5 and Exx AMG are the only true alternatives given your needs with the kids (same here). Steady, aim, pull...
Old 09-07-2008, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Mine hasn't failed but has Clunked hard a couple of times. Also...

It doesn't seem to transfer power without a fair amount of slipping occaisonally. Sometimes when I want it to really hookup it seems to be slipping in it's power delivery. I have started to get the occaisonal tranny fault of
"
Sunday,10,August,2008,16:21:09:13443
VCDS Version: Release 805.0

Address 02: Auto Trans
Control Module Part Number: 4B0 927 156 FL
Component and/or Version: AG5 01L 4.2l5VT USA 0305
Software Coding: 0000002
Work Shop Code: WSC 00000
1 Fault Found:

18258 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from ECU
P1850 - 003 - Mechanical Failure -Intermittent"
Old 09-08-2008, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think it's a good deal at ~$50k, especially if you plan to keep it at least a few years
Old 09-08-2008, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Too much to spend as i have said many times. get a car in the 20K-30K mile range and save the

$$, but i guess you can't find any others that look good to you so...

I've been killed by depreciation so i am sensitive to it.

Quick Reply: About to pull the trigger on a new-to-me RS6...final advice?