RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

Add another one to the DRC failure club!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add another one to the DRC failure club!

Left rear. Bummer. Covered under CPO. Whew!

Parts are ordered. Car in next week. What a thing to come back to after a 2-month vacation!

Asked if all shocks and offending valve have to be replaced due to the de-pressurization of the system. They said no, that the system is cross-linked (left rear to right front). Asked if there would be damage to the front right, then. They thought not. But, they wouldn't know until the replacement parts are in and the system is re-charged.

Does this RS6 service advisor know wherefrom he speaks?

CW
Old 03-14-2008, 12:38 PM

Default Search the forum here.

I believe that Hy Octane finally got a dealer to pay attention to what audi actally recommends.

General rule of thumb, if memory serves is that the central valve *must* be replaced. so it's more than the failed shock itself.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Interesting...I think i am losing the same one...i have a rattle over light bumps that i cannot find

anything loose in the rear of the car on that side that would cause it. I suspect mine's up.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Central valve MUST be replaced - ensure that they are doing that
Old 03-14-2008, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Me too

I had to have the system replaced at 78,000 miles.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Search the forum here.

I know there are many DRC related threads. So, honing the issue(s) down is important. Thanks.

CW
Old 03-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Well, I do have junk in there

Such as a Maglite, water bottles, front plate & bracket and an umbrella. All is secured by the cargo netting, though. Also, I have an Eisenmann exhaust and even though it is mounted properly, it can bounce on the hanging brackets.

However, the Tech confirmed it visually.

CW
Old 03-14-2008, 08:01 PM

Default Sounds like you've got "it". Mine was just in this week........

First noise I noticed was like tools in the trunk. That would go away with a few miles of driving. Then a few weeks later it sounded like a sway bar was thumping against the undercarriage - that one didn't go away. Then I noticed the large deposit of fluid on the garage floor by the front wheels.

Took it in and both central valves replaced along with the FRONT shocks.

Remember, just because the sound is from the rear doesn't mean that it's the rear shocks. The central valves seem to be the noisemakers which are in back.

Luckily I'm still under regular warranty for another month - 'cause the dealer says that the shocks aren't covered under the certified warranty - With all the DRC failures we've had it's a shame Audi won't stand behind these cars and admit their shock seals obviously don't hold up - requiring an expensive set of central valves to be replaced each time.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I dare ask which dealer Fritz...others have had it worked on under CPO so willl be hard for them to

get out of it. Headed to I think you know where on the 24th for it. When we had my car up last year when you did my brakes I noticed a little bit of leaking on the front shocks (about 1/2" to 3/4" of oily residue) so should be interesting. Are you doing ABCC?
Old 03-15-2008, 05:32 AM

Default I had it done at Continental and I have nothing but praise for

their customer service and competence. This whole DRC issue is Audi's mess - I am not willing to put this on Conti. I know Russ is an excellent technician and can eventually get this resolved - but when it took two Audi guys flown in from Germany (don't recall who's thread that was) to get the repair right then I have to question the design of the overall system. We have to ask ourselves if the problem can truly be fixed in the field. Can the car ever be returned to "factory" specs.

I'll be back in to Continental next week for round 2. I have every confidence that Russ and Conti will get this right, but Audi has got to start taking responsibility for this.

As a side note, my car only has 20K mile on it. I started to see a slight deterioration in ride quality last fall, but never had any signs of DRC noise until the car sat idle for quite a bit over the winter. Then the noises started per my prior post.

Quick Reply: Add another one to the DRC failure club!