RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

Audi UK owned RS6

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi UK owned RS6

I notice that Evo magazine here in the UK have just returned their Long Term RS6 to Audi having covered around 40k miles. Does anyone know what happens to theses cars- do they get sold and if so how do you become a buyer of one- RS6 with 40K on the clok must be very early £40k in the UK I would have thought
Old 03-14-2004, 02:33 PM
Rest In Peace

Default The cars are handled by the Audi Press Office, you could call Audi UK and ask if they can tell you

the disposal programme they operate. I should think they will most likely send them to auction, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more desirable cars got offered to employees first.

Just be mindful of how long until the warranty expires, and the limited protection you get buying from a disposal merchant instead of a main dealer. You might find the odd high-miler on <a href="http://www.audi.co.uk/">Audi UK's</a> used car search on the web site, although £49995 is about the lowest priced on there at the moment.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Chris, a question. I am looking at a very low mileage 2.7t avant 6spd....

would you buy another 2.7?

I realise it is not an RS6 but I cannot afford, nor justify spending that much on a car and its running costs.

The choice is either a 2.5Tdi q or another 2.8q or this 2.7t - whichever will have to be the avant.

Ideally, I wanted an avant with a sunroof but not many have one as it must have been an extra on 2000/2001 models.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:54 AM
Rest In Peace

Default How have you got on with your 2.8?

I bought the 2.7T because I didn't want having a bigger car to mean having a slower car - I very nearly bought an S4 instead, but decided I wanted to have something with more legroom in the rear.

The reason I went with an Avant was that I couldn't stand the A6 Saloon's rear end! I know that I'm basically driving an A6 Saloon now, but I guess the little tweaks change that - remember the A6 in 2001 was unpainted lower bumpers and the Saloon looked a lot different.

Just so you're aware, the earlier 2.7T engines are 230bhp against 250bhp for the later ones (2003 onwards?). 230 never gave me any problems, and it's quite satisfying to see the look on people's faces as an estate car howls past them!

The fuel economy will be down from what you're used to with the 2.8 engine, but I think if your driving requires a lot of stop/start or twisty roads where you need to have the boost on a lot, you'd find the diesel almost as thirsty - it really shines on long, constant speed cruises, but the 2.7T isn't too bad there either - I got mine just before the farmer's fuel strikes and made it to South London and back again on 1.5 tanks (about 400 miles IIRC) with a load of four adults and a weekend's worth of luggage.

Find a good example that hasn't been abused - listen for too much gearbox whine at low speeds indicating thrashed through the gears, noisy turbos (whistle is OK, should be high pitched, but steadily increasing in volume as engine load rises), or too many rattles (been driven on poor roads at speed - will have hurt the suspension). Be especially careful with Sport models - they will naturally get driven harder than an SE would. Oil changes on schedule are very important as the oil cools and lubricates the turbo bearings, so a particularly late oil change is bad news.

And to answer your question, yes I would, were there one available to buy. In fact, I was mulling over an A6 2.5TDI (nearest thing - I don't consider the 3.0 a suitable replacement due to limited torque) with all the trimmings and a TT 3.2 as possible replacements for the RS 6 - it's getting a lot of miles on it and I want to pass it on before the nearness to warranty expiry hurts it's price.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks Chris. The car I am looking at is an early 01, so ....

it is the 230 bhp engine.

I guess I was looking for confirmation that it would be a shrewd decision. I tend to keep cars for long time and this will be the lowest mileage I have bought for long time, 21k, so I guess it should still be in good shape and drive like new.

I think I am hoping that the 2.7 will have a bit more of the low end torque that multi-valve engines never seem to produce. The old 2.8 12v can be driven up to 5th gear at idle with just the idle stabilisation valve to keep it going, but the 30v engines can stall if you turn the steering too far at idle.

I don't know, multi valve engines are what everybody wants in terms of the badge on the back but they are no good for trips to school and the shops. Give us back some good 2valve engines like the 8v golf.

I have just got to wait to see what deal my brother-in-law can negotiate on my behalf, he buys and sells Audi's all day so he should get the best deal.

He may be interested in your RS6 when it is time for it to go. www.faroper.co.uk
Old 03-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Rest In Peace

Default You get to test drive it? Well worth a quick spin if you can

and if you don't get long in it, the best way to detect abuse is to drive round town at 30mph - you'll tell far more about the condition it's in than at 70mph on the motorway.

Hope it goes OK, and you can get a car you're happy with!

I'll certainly bear your B-I-L in mind when the RS 6 goes, depends how much I can twist my dealer's arm on the price of whatever replaces it though (it's bound to be another Audi!).
Old 03-19-2004, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default After messing me around a bit, the dealer finally said it was sold. Luckily before I made the...

trip up to Mansfield, cheque book in hand.

It is a rare car especially with just 21k and all the correct bits on it.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:59 AM
Rest In Peace

Ah, bad luck Edd. I'm sure you'll find something out there!