RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

brake pads vs. rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pads vs. rotors

On regular everyday street driving durations; Are you finding it necessary to replace rotors with each brake pad replacement on RS6? If so, what are dealers charging- mine wants $1,500.00 for front and $1,100.00 for rear - and they recommend I do the rotors each time? All stock!

Although this may only be the case every 1.5 - 2 yrs. for me, it sounds excessive?

Input appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nope not excessive in my experience. The rears pretty much never need to be touched but I have

been through 4 sets of front rotors in 40K miles. I drive pretty hard though so probably a little worse than average. About every other or every third set of pads the rotors seem to be shot. They get thin quick. Your quoted prices seem just right to me. I started getting the rotors/pads done at an independent shop as they could get the rotors for a little over $800 and pads still around $350 but then save on labor. One thing I have not tried but a friend is (ZEEEE) is getting rotors that have been cryogenic-ly treated as it apparently makes them stronger and last longer. Not sure of the source for those though.

I think my rears have only been touched once and that was a looonnnnggg time ago and under the free maintenance/warranty at the time.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:25 AM

Default "What do you expect for $90,000 car?"

Those were the exact words my service advisor told me when I was quoted those same numbers just a few weeks ago!!

I was lucky for the last several years, because my car was still under factory warrenty until march of this year (deliver date was march 2004)so they always replaced my rotors and brakes for no charge.
I been though 3 sets in the last 2 years, but i tracked the beast at 12 days in the last 2 years.

I am strongly considering upgrading the fronts to the alcon set-up. A couple of members here (Jim the denist and spinecho) seem to like that set-up, i'm sure they will give you plenty on info on their set-ups.

If you change the pads and not the rotors you may run the risk of wrapping the rotors and uneven brake ware, so they usually recommend replacing them both at the same time.

Good luck on your quest!!

dre
Old 06-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yes and no...

What you describe is not excessive from my experience, but it may be excessive depending on how you drive. Do you regularly brake hard and do you regularly wipe off more than 100 km/h - 60 mph of speed when you brake? If so, welcome to the club. If your driving is more on the street at low speeds, then I would think your rotors should last longer.

The OEM setup with different pads and fluid and Phaeton brake ducts, the Alcon setup, whatever - they will all wear out much more rapidly with track events if your track involves a lot of braking. You can't escape the fact this is a big heavy with such a forward weight bias.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:41 PM

Default Replacing rotors with each pad replacement seems like

overkill to me. They should be replaced when they are out of spec - which shouldn't be after each set of pads. I agree with Mark that from my experience the stock rotors tend to last about 4 sets.

I did send out a new set of stock front rotors that I bought from the dealer for cryo treatment that I used for drivers events and found that the wear characteristics improved significantly (probably 2X) over the non-cryo'd rotors. Conversely I also noticed that it did not seem to help dramatically with the heat fracturing around the cross-drilled holes. I had them frozen at 300 Below (www.300below.com) - Dealt with Dick Mayberry there and the turnaround was about a week. I think their timeframes are: in by Thursday and they will send them back on Tuesday the next week. They charge by the pound with a minimum of around $75 IIRC. Total with shipping (there and back) was around $200. (Nice people to work with - Dick has followed up with me twice over the last year to see if I was still happy with the performance of the rotors). So I think freezing them is worth the investment if you can get 2X the life (from what I'm experiencing). But put on the Phaeton brake ducts to help with the heat if you're planning on tracking which will help with the heat fracturing..... Or look a few posts down and get on the list for the replacment rotors.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: brake pads vs. rotors

Check out www.carpartswholesale.com They list the front rotors (factory OEQ rotors) at $383.95 each. That is one of the best prices I have seen. $400~$450 is fairly common to find though. $750 each is way too much. MGH
Old 06-06-2008, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default his $1500 was for the full pads and rotors installed I think. but yes your price is lowest i've

seen per rotor. My full rotor and pads was $1600 at my service dealer of choice.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default you can also order new, cryo-treated OEM rotors from frozenrotors.com

I got mine from them for about $450 each IIRC.