RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

How far have you gone to buy your car? Live near DC, want '03 S8 in Vegas!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How far have you gone to buy your car? Live near DC, want '03 S8 in Vegas!

Should I fly out to see it first? it's Audi Assured.

Do I get a round trip or can I get a flight back on short notice if I don't buy?

What about driving the car back after purchase?
Seems like a long way to go to find a car!

Anybody close by wanna check out the car for me?
Old 06-19-2004, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: How far have you gone to buy your car? Live near DC, want '03 S8 in Vegas!

We bought our RS6 sight unseen and flew 1,000 in the winter to pick it up and drive it home...so it depends how much you want one...we paid the airfare ....
Old 06-19-2004, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If it is what you want, buy round trip ticket just in case.

Ask the same question on A8 forum about having someone check it out.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:36 PM

Default Would you expect a discount if you come from a distance?

The selling dealer won't have to see your face again! How much off should I ask?
Old 06-19-2004, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I wouldn't expect a discount. Truth be told, dealer likely prefers local buyers because...

this is essentially a single transaction for them. They'd rather see a local customer who will patronize the dealership with some regularity i.e. maintenance, service, possibly buy another car, possibly refer a few customers.

Case in point: I bought my '02 A6 4.2 in April at Audi of Oakland in the SF Bay Area. My salesman called me the morning I was supposed to come in and told me another salesman had another buyer flying up from Los Angeles to buy the car I was interested in. I thought it was a sales tactic. We got to the dealership a half hour before the other buyer arrived. Matter of fact, the other salesman used "my" A6 to pick up "his" customers at the airport. Needless to say, the other buyer was quite upset.

Speaking to the sales manager afterwards, he was quite happy that we got there first and preferred the local sale. I am repeat customer at the dealership and have all maintenance performed there. The other buyer would have been a one time transaction with no further "sales" or "service" from the dealership.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Would you expect a discount if you come from a distance?

Have them e-mail lots of photo's of the car....Is this car new? If so need to find the invoice price and make an offer based from that number. And the fact it is an 03. If you think you want the car....sometimes the airlines are running specials on one way fares. But have a certain number of days in advanced you need to get the ticket. I really don't think the dealer gives a rip whether you are local or coming from a distance...a sale is a sale....I had already commmited to purchasing our car by sending a deposit and signed the purchase agreement before we flew there. Plus you need to have other paperwork done before you pick the car up..like insurance..what the sales tax is...depending on the state..temp plate..transfering plates??? lots of small details that need to be done before you drive it off the lot. Would be nice if all states had the same rules...but they don't. Good luck...it is an Audi...so it has to be nice.