RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

Prattle-Prattle- DRC Failure again...Audi resolution dismal

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prattle-Prattle- DRC Failure again...Audi resolution dismal

Entire DRC replaced in Jan/08. Less than a couple thousand miles later, rear valve replaced. Less than 2,000 miles later (the car has been at dealer most of 2008) the entire DRC (both valves and 4 shocks) is shot again, and car back at dealer for extended stay. I am submitting another DOT report.

Dealer in contact with Audi for resolution for the past several weeks. They have been trying to correct a constant issue with DRC since it was replaced. Car has been in the shop 78 days out of the last 163 days (47.8%)

Wake up Audi and correct this issue!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 06:03 AM

Default Re: Prattle-Prattle- DRC Failure again...Audi resolution dismal

What is the problem- are replacement parts faulty? Workmanship faulty, how is it that entire DRC suspension has failed yet again and only in short term???

Will this happen to all of us.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I asked same question with deer in headlights blank stare response

No good answer provided as to why this is recurring issue. Dealer states they have been in contact with Audi during this ordeal and awaiting instructions on how to proceed with current repair.

I have scheduled a call with DOT for this afternoon.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:58 AM

Default Did they replace the DRC central valve accumulator(s)?

As you may know the necessity for their replacement is not disputed, even when they're not broken. AOA's own self study guide mandates it. Dealers don't have the equipment needed to re-pressurize old accumulators, so a new one is needed with every repair of leaking shocks/struts. But they cost $1K each so I'm sure there's some resistance to doing this often.

It's tempting to assume that all dealers and everyone at AOA knows this stuff, communicated appropriately and have done the right thing, but I have witnessed enough miscommunication to NOT make such an assumption. As independently owned entities, dealers vary. And AOA personnel vary from region to region. (Where are you?)

Anyway, the headline question might be helpful if it's not already been addressed. Failure occurring so shortly after repair suggests inadequate pressurization, and that in turn could well be caused by accumulator(s) being "repaired" rather than replaced. In my own most recent case, both central accumulator valves had to be replaced because both right side shocks were leaking. (There is one valve for each line of DRC's X pattern, if that makes sense.)

The bottom line comes from AOA itself:

"If a leak develops ... The pre-filled, ready to install central valve must always be replaced because it ensures necessary system pressure." -- RS6 Self Study Guide section on DRC (page 42), published by AOA in June 2003.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Supposingly in Jan/08 entire system replaced...

Thank you for your insight Jack, and I look forward to seeing you at Daytona (assuming the car is running).

During the third repair attempt they replaced one shock and one accumulator. I do understand what you mean by the X link, and have had an in-depth discussion with tech about the DRC.

I have read them the riot act but not sure it does any good. I have yanked on Michael Imboden at AoA but he seems very dis-interested in helping with a resolution. He states I must deal with the dealer to get the issue resolved.

Dealer is in continued discussion with Audi to develop a resolution as the days continue to tick.

DOT just called and left a voice mail..Perfect timing to vent about this issue.

I love the car except for this one !*!#ing ongoing issue.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Its the fact that they replace faulty parts with new faulty parts.

This is what we need the DOT to step in and fix.. Audi is well aware of these faulty shocks and has opted not to redesign them, but instead to continue to replace them with new faulty ones knowing full well that they will fail again and expecting us to pay thousands for each faulty repair.. They almost act like its normal and what are we so upset about..? If you think about it, we have seen failures on approx 75% of all RS6 that we know of, this is almost 24,000 faulty shock absorbers that have been replaced which Audi didnt expect to have to do. Can you believe that after 24,000+ unpredicted replacements NOBODY at Audi has deemed it necessary to do something about this? You know full well that they have had meetings on this issue and decided to let it roll and hopefully they will get away with it.. Well, hopefully if we can get the DOT to do something about this, we might just turn the tables on Audi.. Perhaps if we wrote letters to the top car mags and reported this fiasco to them it might help too. The last thing Audi wants is another 'unintended acceleration' episode.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Stated very well indeed...Wake up Audi!!!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default DOT still looking into this issue.....

I just spoke with DOT about my ongoing DRC issue, and the problems we are all encountering.

Very interesting conversation. I hope Audi hears the wake up call (voluntarily or non-voluntarily) to stop the bleeding of their reputation for the benefit of all.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That is absurd The worst I've seen mention here.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default New accumlators and shocks on the way....

Audi is overnight shipping valves and all shocks for complete replacement tomorrow. We'll see how that works out....

Quick Reply: Prattle-Prattle- DRC Failure again...Audi resolution dismal