RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

Rattles, rattles and more rattles

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattles, rattles and more rattles

Love the car, but it sounds like it was put together at 4:59pm on a Friday evening. Everything rattles and I'm sure it has nothing to do with the way I drive. :-)

But I am interested to hear if any others have had these problems, and if so what they did to fix them.

1. Rattle/squeak above drivers head: FIXED: placed card behind the vanity light. Included here in case any one else suffers from this. (Got this tip from the A6 FAQ)

2. B-Pillar. Rattles just behind by left ear. Noise does seems to also be on the passenger side.

3. Glove compartment area. Permanent medium frequence rattle. It could be the glove box, the base of the seat or the base of the passenger door?

4. rear parcel shelf area - passenger side?

5. Bounce the back of the car, I can hear the suspension "clicking/squeaking". I also think this noise reverberates through the cabin when driving.

I'll be taking the car in for a service and a check on these items soon, but wondered if there were any help to be found here. There usually is.

Regards
Mark
2003 RS6 Mugello blue, 15k miles.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Rattles, rattles and more rattles

Right there with you!! my car sounds like the interior of a vette, I do run at the track which may have loosened things up a bit, but I suffer from all but #3, however everthing else is so loud I may not be picking it up. My dealer will have the car all of next week to try to resolve. will let you know.
Also my onstar battery back-up has failed 3X going on my 4th replacement have you had any problems?
If you are having mega brake dust issues try switching to Pagid Blue front pads, less dust=less squeeks!!

Marc
03 REVO'd RS6
Old 04-01-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Rattles, rattles and more rattles

I've had the squeak above driver's head. It's gone now, never has been too bad. And sometimes I hear shocks squeak, but only if I go over a certain speed bump in a certain slow way; not enough to be hugely bothersome.

But I developed some metal-on-metal rattles in &amp; under the car, especially the rear but also under driver's seat, that took almost two weeks to solve. The Sirius hardware was one (loose) culprit, and the long skinny tubes that send DRC fluid across the car bottom were the others. Somehow the DRC system lost pressure, so those tubes lost their tautness &amp; began slapping against other metal parts. Replacing the "DRC center valve gas accumulators," one atop each rear strut, was recommended by AOA after dealer tech failed to fix &amp; that solved the problem. The long boring version is in the link below.<ul><li><a href="http://www2.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=5863&amp;highlight= right+rear+rattle">http://www2.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=5863&amp;highlight= right+rear+rattle</a</li></ul>
Old 04-02-2005, 01:09 PM
UrQ

Make sure your dealer orders you the OnStar fix so he can do that next week
Old 04-04-2005, 03:55 PM

OnStar is fine, although I have never used it, and no longer have a subscription
Old 04-04-2005, 03:56 PM

That's great info - thx!