RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

RS6 v. M3

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 08:24 AM
rfl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS6 v. M3

I am very close to trading in my 2002 M3 with SMG and moving up to the RS6. I test-drove the RS6 briefly a few months ago, but not long enough to fully appreciate the differences in the cars. I would find helpful any comments from those of you who have extensively driven both the RS6 and the E46 M3 or the E36 M3 (I previously had one of those also) comparing the ride quality, handling, performance and comfort of each car. The RS6 would be my daily driver, as is my M3. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:10 AM
UrQ

Default I have only test driven an 03 M3 and I can say from that

(1) More room in RS6, front, back, and width, so more comfort
(2) I have gone zero to 65 with am 03 M3 and RS6 came out ahead (beyond that I don't know)
(3) Ride on the RS6 is that of a daily dirver, M3 was more of a car that had to be driven
(4)Noise wise RS6 is a magnatude over M3

I had an 04 S4 before and the RS6 is hands down a better daily driver car, best I have had.

I have a little over 4K on car since end of Januaray w/o any problems, just the general A6 recal and the stupid OnStar light which they had to order a battery for last week.

Engine is just sweet, with the K04 turbos I don't notice any turbo lag
Old 08-14-2004, 11:29 AM
rfl

Default Re: I have only test driven an 03 M3 and I can say from that

Thanks. That's very helpful. Another question: Is the ride quality of the RS6 significantly less harsh than that of the M3? I test drove an '04 S4 several months ago and found the ride to be very firm, comparable to the M3. The M3 can be a real pain (literally) on less than perfect road surfaces. Also, how comfortable is the RS6 on long drives?
Old 08-14-2004, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: RS6 v. M3

I drove a 1997 M3 for 5 years, M3 Luxury with 5 speed.

I missed that M3 when I moved on to an Audi A6 4.2 sport.

My RS6 is quite nice, but I have yet to develop the same feel as I had in the M3. In the M3 I felt the limits were greater in turns since the M3 communicates more back to the driver! The RS6 has less feedback, but from what I have been slowly learning by pushing it more, it's limits are probably greater than the M3 was, I am just a little apprehensive since the RS6 cost twice as much as my M3 did LOL.

As far as quickness, the RS6 is much (read DAM MUCH) faster than the M3, and runs much faster when at highway speeds as well, ie excell from 60 to 120 and beyond, RS6 is quicker.

Breaking is noticibly better in the RS6 even for a car that is much heavier.

The M3 was just fine in the snow, I used snow tires and drove it every winter, through the worst snow storms, just caught once in April with my snows off a few days too soon, now that was fun.

The RS6 is also great in the snow with snow tires of course, in fact I don't recall seeing the ESP light come on at all this past winter. My M3 would blink on a turn now and then, bonus goes to the all-wheel-drive of the RS6.

Interior room. D'ooh, RS6 is much bigger.

Seat Comfort. I have to admit I had pain on long drives when in my M3 and the Previos 325 is with the same lux seats, but in my Audi's I have found the seats better, at least for me. I wish the RS6 had the same rear seats as my A6 4.2 sport (ie two bucket like rear seats).

Stereo, I'd have to go with the M3's sterio, more punch, even the older 1997 model, but the RS6 sterio is just fine for me, especially with Sat Radio, love that.

Trunk space, due to battery being in the trunk they are probably close.

Ease of service, M3 hands down, you can change the oil with a suit on!

Long distance cruising, RS6 hands down.

Numbers are well known, RS6 faster, quicker, etc. but for a big premium, it should be.

Track use: The M3 is probably much better, I don't hear much about M3 brake problems, at least not as much as I have read about those who track their RS6.

Interior Styling: I drove a 1994 325 is and a 1997 M3, both with very similar interiors, never got 'tired' of it. Then drove the 2000 A6 and now 2003 RS6, very similar interior, again, not tired of either. The RS6 is more pleasant and has better looking dash, etc. than the M3.

You will not be disappointed with the RS6.

Mike
Old 08-14-2004, 06:37 PM
rfl

Default Re: RS6 v. M3

That's very helpful. Thanks. I test drove the RS6 again today. The car has 85 miles on it. I heard the Brembos squeal a bit on light brake application. Is that a bad sign? I had squealing Brembo brakes on my 2004 Volvo S60R (which I sold after 9 months) and they drove me nuts. The Volvo dealer told me that the squeal was inherent with the Brembos unless you get them really hot (like on a track). Can I expect a recurring squeal on the RS6? Also, this RS6 has been at the dealer since the winter, in an indoor basement showroom, apparently undriven for weeks at a time. When the salesperson tried to start the car the battery was dead and had to be boosted with a portable charger. He said that if I bought the car he would replace the battery. Might this long-term storage of this car cause some problem down the road?
Old 08-14-2004, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I just put 1000K this week on my RS6...

Just got back 30 minutes ago. Very comfortable over the three day trip. I will post a longer post tomorrow describing the whole, incredible trip in this truly remarkable car.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default that should not be a problem if you get a new battery

my brakes squeal ocasionally, especially if it is humid outside, all brakes squeal now and then.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:39 AM

Default Although the RS6 and the M3 have similar pretentions of being

fast sporty cars, they are actually quite different.

To begin with the M3, being a smaller car will give you more perceived feedback, and it feels as if you're going faster than with the RS6 when in fact you're not.

On the other hand, the RS6 will do everything the M3 does, and much more, but also with added safety. It takes strong guts to find the limits of the RS6 on public roads, as they are far beyond that of the M3, but remember, on their respective edges the M3 will oversteer, whereas the RS6 will understeer. Something a RWD driver must get used to.

Although the M3 may give the impression of giving more feedback, I personally find the RS6 more involving (ditto with my ex-S6 vs. the E46 M3) and that low down power is simply intoxicating. No need to rev the living daylights out of the engine to have some fun.

The RS6 drive, can at times feel a bit un-eventful, whereas the M3 can be nerve wrecking and a bitch on bumpy roads or tarred roads with a bit of sand or soil here and there.

The sheer size and weight of the RS6 can work against it when it comes to having fun, however I found that if I am not having fun with the RS6 it's because I am not driving fast enough, whereas with an M3 and most RWD cars, you can get hairy situations a much lower speed.

The only time an M3 will be quicker than an RS6 is the time it takes to loose it

The choice of tyres for the RS6 or any other car for that matter is very important. From what I understand, in the US the RS6 comes with either Dunlops, Pirellis or Michelin. Keep way from the Dunlops, although they grip, they totally lack feedback. The Pirellis could be the best bet, until Michelin comes with a Pilot Sport II for the RS6's 18' Wheels.

Apart from the above, there is space, four doors, bigger boot and whatever else make the RS6 a more versatile car, but it may feel, at reasonably fast, but not ultra fast speeds, less sporty than an M3.

With the RS6 you will find that often when taking a fast corner, at the end of the corner you'll wonder how much faster you could have taken it. There isn't much drama with the RS6 at speeds where other cars would normally feel right on the edge. That's the safety factor of the Quattro drive, the DRC and the suspension design. But when the RS6 lets go, it can be violent, simply because you're going so fricking fast.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:29 AM
UrQ

Default The RS6 ride is a more comfortable ride than '04 S4 and does not take away from the handling that

I could tell.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:32 AM

Test drive a AMG E55 before you decide. It's a torque monster!

Quick Reply: RS6 v. M3