RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

RS6 vs E55...discuss...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Both are great...which tingles your G-Spot...

...determines which you decide to take home!

Keep in mind that both are sedans, and in no way should you shop either against sports cars.
If you are in the market for a top of the heap sedan, and money is not an issue, you really can't go wrong with either vehicle. You should add the M5 to the least as well.

Once you start adding restrictions to the equation, like money, or tranny preferences, or which will depreciate more, then you are no longer shopping one against the other. You should look for other alternatives. Keep in mind that there was an article recently where the Maybach and the Bentley seem to lose about 8Gs every 2 weeks in the first year of ownership.

So, what is it exactly that you are looking for on a sedan? Only specifics will help ease your pain. I can only speak for the RS6 though. I promise to be the least biased in any info provided.

Hope to meet you soon on a GTG, regardless of what you go with.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So far, you've mentioned long term reliability/ownership cost and luxury features. Buy a Lexus!

Given the nature of both of these beasts, neither is going to be bullet proof reliable, neither is as plush as the finest Japanese offerings, and both are expensive to the point that if you are serious enough to consider either, you shouldn't rely on the opinions of an Audi board and refute every opinion. Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and no one thinks there's stinks. So, do your own homework and enjoy whichever car you decide because both are excellent machines.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Styling does not excite me as much...

my "practical" car would be a GS430 or perhaps they will bring out a high performance AWD hybrid in the next couple of years, but right now, the AMG Mercedes and the RS6 are the only cars that give me that tingle....

this is as much an exercise in "do I want to pay that much for tingle, and how long will tingle last" as it is an A vs B.

and there is no better place to solicit opinions other than audiworld. Audi owners are as honest and straightforward as they come...
Old 08-31-2004, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default $8k per week for a year is $400k in depreciation, doesn't make sense...

unless they are worth 0 after a year :-)

anyhow, thanks for entertaining my thought experiment...i've got just over two years before i hit 40 and need my pens extension
Old 08-31-2004, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Have you asked as many questions on Benz World or Roadfly for the E55?
Old 08-31-2004, 09:59 AM

Default fast typing = mistake

Meant to say 8Gs every 2 weeks.
Basically, the car is worth about $110Gs after the first year of ownership. Well, that is what they are speculating anyway.

I still have about 8 years before I hit 40, but age was not in any way part of the deciding factor. I think in my case, the RS6 was an impulse buy, even though I waited about 10 months for my order.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Hmmm..

Roadfly - i'd get trampled on for hating the bangled 5

benzworld - didn't know it existed! i'll check it out
Old 08-31-2004, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Roadfly for MB now too!
Old 08-31-2004, 10:08 AM

Default ...the elusive tingle...

Every time I get on the vehicle and take her out for a drive, I feel the same tingle as if I was just picking her up. And that was about 14 months ago, and 19K miles later.

I am sure had I chosen the E55, it's possible I would feel the same. Heck, had I chosen an M5 I would probably feel close to it as well. But that is probably due to the fact that I'm more of a car enthusiast than a person that just wants to be safely moved comfortably from A-to-B!
However, there is more to a car then it's pure raw power. Styling does go along way, even if you won't admit it. Both of these beasts have both.

Lexus doesn't really do much for me. It does not instigate the people mover gene within me! But that is just me. I'm sure the brand builds nice cars and all. It's possible that it will suit your needs just fine, and certainly keep the wallet/bank account happier. Another non-decision maker for me.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default The GS430 style has held up well...

and I'd have to say I like it more than the previous gen E class and almost as much as the A6..the 4.2 fenders probably put the A6 on top...

but the new E55 is just sex on wheels, visually it gives me more tingle than the RS6, but the RS6 gives the engineer in me a different kind of tingle...anyhow, it's helpful to talk about it...

Quick Reply: RS6 vs E55...discuss...