RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

Shall I do it? or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:-D !!!
Old 04-20-2004, 05:57 AM

Default Re: Hmm, 90K, mid-life crisis, I vote for Amsterdam...brothels and drugs, but maybe that's just me ;

Thats not a mid life crisis. That was SOP for weekends away from london when i was 20 something..
Old 04-20-2004, 06:55 AM
Rest In Peace

Default 34k miles and still going, I love this car. My £0.02

Yes, the RS 6 is a 2003 model, so when the new A6 comes out it will begin to look dated, inevitably. Not a great problem really IMHO, the C5 isn't to everyone's taste, but in RS 6 guise I think it's a great looking car, and it isn't far enough out to look really old fashioned like older Ferraris and the like so obviously do.

I've got Mugello blue, see the link in the bottom of my sig for pictures taken last March. I think it's a great colour for the sedan, but I do like Daytona as well (would have been my 2nd choice).

You may not need 5 seats (it's a better 4 seater that 5 seater anyway), but the trunk space in the RS 6 will be better than an M3, and yes it's far less obvious than some low-slung 2 seater.

I once had a go with a Nav system, and although I'm not a huge fan, they are OK for simple guidance, and given the straightforward nature of most of America's roads I don't think it would be a big problem, and it is neater than aftermarket. It's a real shame you don't get Nav+ as the 5" screen really makes it much clearer where there's more than one possible way out of a junction that sort of matches the spoken commands.

If you have limited options on what's available, I wouldn't worry too much about carbon fiber, but IMHO it looks great with black leather, although for hot conditions you may prefer the silver leather anyway. Be careful of colour transfer from dark fabrics (dark blue denim for example) with the silver though.

Yes, the S4 is a much better track tool than the RS 6 - better balanced, no turbo lag (the RS 6 doesn't suffer badly with lag, but there is some whatever anybody tells you) and it seems to be very free revving (it's a different 4.2 V8 engine than the RS 6 engine is based on), but that does mean you need to keep the revs up quite high to get the best from it. Driven even fairly hard, the fuel consumption of the S4 is as high or higher than the RS 6 because the RS 6 can laze along on it's huge torque where the S4 encourages you to grab it by the scruff of the neck and giving a good hiding.

For touring, I'd pick an RS 6 over an S4 just for the extra space and the relaxed crusing.

The A8 would make an exceptionallly good long-distance tourer. It's longer, but it's also much roomier inside (like going first instead of business), and the DVD Nav system is a treat - fast and so easy to use. The A8 will also give you better long distance ability due to it's larger tank and lower revs at a given speed in top gear - even 100mph is some relaxed 2800rpm or so in 6th on the 4.2 V8. The A8 uses the same V8 as the S4 and doesn't weigh much more (compared to how much bigger it is) and the air suspension enables some impressive cornering for it's size.

Of course, the 4.2 is slower than both the S4 and RS 6 by some margin, can you wait for the 6.0 W12 to arrive? It's going to be almost as fast as the RS 6, but with better comfort and crusing ability. I'd seriously consider a 6.0 A8 to replace the RS 6 (especially now UK have announced the SWB will come here), but there's the £72k starting price tag to consider. It is very well specified though, with a lot of stuff that's optional on the rest of the A8 range, and it is 'future-proofed' with the new grille.

Personally, given that Brits consider 200+ miles a long journey, I'd go for an A8 6.0 if I could, or failing that a 4.2 (because you don't get the 4.0D in the US) if I was considering a cross-US & Canada trip. It's not the fastest thing out there, but I know for a fact it can pull 160mph (restrictors and things aside) easily, and 100mph cruising feels like 60mph. If you want to retain the car as a general plaything after the trip, an RS 6 might provide the best of both worlds.

Good luck with the descision!

Chris.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dude... have you driven the RS6...OMG!!! is all i have to say.

I drove the new S4...it's tame...and quick, but nothing like the twin turbos on the RS6... head snapping pant wetting acceleration and sheer joy. If a sport car is too small...but you want something of that caliber in performance.. there are only 2 cars that come to mind.. the RS6.... and the older M5... MY VOTE FOR RS6 IS IN!!!
Old 04-20-2004, 08:54 AM

Default Re parts availablity

I was one of the big complainers about not being able to get a part, i.e. main engine crank pulley. Was ordered from Germany, didn't come despite 4 weeks of waiting, then turned out it was a communication problem: Audi in Germany didn't tell AOA that the part is same as in the 2.7T, meaning plenty were in the US already but AOA didn't know it! They do now, tho, thanks to a clarifying memo sent to dealers by AOA.

Also, I had numerous posts complaining about subpar performance blamed on "bad gas." No doubt I did have a bad tankful, but the surging & hesitation went on for over 1500 miles after that tankful. Later got advice from tuner (APR) suggesting I accelerate harder when I could & keep revs up, and problem went away -- due to "adaptive" feature.

So -- parts availability was NOT a problem in my case, tho I know it has been for some others.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:17 AM

Default Live the monent and enjoy it to the fullest: Travel and buy an RS6 :), my colour

preference, but of course that's very personnal are (in order of preference):

Daytona Grey with silver interior
Daytona Grey with black interior
Ebony Black with silver interior
Avus Silver with black interior
Ebony black with black interior
Mugello blue with either black or silver interior
Red with black interior
Old 04-20-2004, 09:43 AM

Default NY to: Quebec city, Maine and back.

This car is Amazing! It's as comfortable as
it is fast. The only super sedan available
with AWD (for now).
Old 04-20-2004, 10:24 AM

Default The only thing with the US RS6 trunk.

Is that they put the battery on the floor, taking up cargo space... :-<

Too bad the US didn't get the euro config or they had figured out how to place the battery like they did in the A8..
Old 04-20-2004, 11:04 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Forgot about that, I can see it would be a PITA.

I barely got our three suitcases in a couple of weeks ago to run out to the airport, that battery box would have meant taking one case on the rear seat.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

traveling requires people to pack lighter....most of the time you don't use have the stuff you take