RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

So...... I got to drive a chipped RS6 the other day.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So...... I got to drive a chipped RS6 the other day.

First, no names, places, etc... as some don't care to advertise what they have.

Drove mine first, then had the opportunity to drive this one. Chipped with a GIAC engine and trans chip. From what I understand, the engine software is flashed so no physical evidence of it being chipped, but you can't do that to the trans quite yet, although I hear one chip manufacturer is close.

From memory, I thought I remember them saying HP increase of around 70 and torque increase was monstrous at around 120ish? If the person that allowed me this opportunity wants to e-mail me the exact numbers, I'll correct those numbers. (Quite honestly, I was too giddy with excitement to remember the exact numbers!)

So, how's she drive?!? One word: QUICK. Off the line acceleration was awesome. Pulled very hard from about 1800RPM's and didn't feel any let up. Very noticeable up to about 80 MPH. In a 0-60 sprint, I'd say this car would take mine by probably 1 car length, and I sometimes think my car might be one of the "quicker" stock ones out there. That doesn't tell the whole story though. It's the mid acceleration that you really feel with this car. Blip the throttle and it jumps! You know how when you drive a loaner or one of your other cars and you have to really put your foot in the pedal to get it moving because you are so used to the power and lightning fast response/speed of your RS6? Well, that's how my RS6 felt like after getting back into it. Not slow, but more conscious of how much harder you had to plant your foot into the accelerator.

Ok, so what about above 80 MPH? Well, that's interesting because I truly felt the chipped car was slower. Yes, slower. From approx 4800 RPM's to red line, the engine was definitely gasping. It caught me so off guard that after like the second time it happened, I let off for fear something was wrong. But fear not, I had to test it about 20 more times! (No, not really.) Again, comparing it to my car, which I think is lightning fast above 70 or so, this one felt slower and there is no doubt about it. I offered to race mine side-by-side to see, but that's getting dangerous without having use of a track or a closed off highway. Could it be that's the way the chip is designed to perform? A stop light racer chip? Maybe. Don't know. Maybe there are multiple adjustments and that's the way the owner of this car wanted it set up. Again, don't know. In summary, quicker at lower speeds, slower a higher speeds.

So how about the transmission? How do you suppose that is holding up? Fine from what I can tell. That too was chipped and I really didn't notice too much of a difference from stock programming when in TIP mode. Shifts seem to still be somewhat slow and deliberate. Nothing unusual or quirky about it. In regular or "drive" mode, it definitely shifted quicker. The lag between gears was less giving it a much crisper feel and a tad harder too. Personally, I prefer that. Much less stress on the clutch discs I gather, which is what caused mine to fail at 11K miles. Nothing too much unusual other than the quicker shifts in drive mode. Forgot to test it in sport mode to see if that programming changed any.

I'm going to speak with the installer as I know him and had some previous work done on an old 4.2 of mine. They also have the ability to "un-flash" if I was taking the car into the dealer and then re-flash again. Handheld device. Maybe there's also an explanation of the definite loss of power at the upper RPM range at higher speeds.

In all, a good chip, lots of low end power and although I don't know the cost, definitely worth it if you are looking for something even quicker!
Old 04-26-2005, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this the gray one at the **un-named** North suburban dealer?
Old 04-26-2005, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default The chip plays with the waste gate

It's very interesting if you install a simple waste gate monitoring circuit on the waste gate electrical wires.

It's just a few LED's and it flashes, turns off or goes solid as the waste gate is getting pulsed.

If it's solid, the waste gate is open and you don't get much power.

If it's flickering, the waste gate is on a duty cycle and it's dumping a slight amount of boost.

If it's off, the wastegate is closed and the turbos are spooling!!

I made one for my 91 200q, about $5 and ran it into the interior.....you right foot can really control the power then by trying to keep it on a duty cycle versus just dumping boost. You can watch the LED and adjust your right foot (i.e. lift slightly) to keep the waste gate from dumping.

That is most likely why your car feels faster at 80 MPH because of the programming at that point.

pw
Old 04-26-2005, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds too complicated to me, especially if you are trying to hide it from your dealer!
Old 04-26-2005, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's just two wires that tap into the two waste gate wires

You don't need to hide anything from the dealer....it's just a parallel circuit that shows wastegate voltage expressed in a LED flashing versus a multimeter readout.

It's the equivilant of putting a multimeter on the wastegate wires.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:50 AM

Default Garrett at GIAC can retune the higher end codes. You should feel the power...

right through all of the power bands. Most of us running the "X" program have had to tweak the code depending on which ECU you have. HP gains for the 2.7T engine are 85hp for 93 octane and 100hp for 100 octane. For $900, that's pretty good results.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: You can't unflash it yourself , Only the GIAC dealer can take the software off....

your ECU like the Dealership can.
GIAC will tell you that there "stock" program is NOT the same as Audi's but very close.
Well close only counts in handgrenades and horsehoes, not when it comes to my 100k warranty.
Plus if the car over boosts even tho they can reflash it , there is some record of the even in your ecu for audi to find I was told
I have had many of emails with GIAC and they admitted its not the same "stock" program as audi's.
And there not interersted in it being the same either.
That hand held loader is useless if the Audi tech has any brains or knowledge.
They may not can read GIAC/REVO's flash (encrypted stuff)like they say but, there not stupid either
Old 04-26-2005, 07:54 AM

Default well.. it does a lot more than that now on the newer cars...

increases stock boost levels.. timing, fueling, adjusts wastegate to allow for more boost to be held....
Old 04-26-2005, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Wouldn't it be the same ECU version for all US RS6's since there are only a thousand or so?
Old 04-26-2005, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agreed, but essentially the waste gate is the component that is allowing more air into the motor

Then the MAF sees the increased air flow, adds fuel and then power goes up (okay, short term fuel is also changed by throttle position).

A chip increases the pressure ratio, and allows the turbos to stuff more air into the motor, and the ECU adds fuel and controls timing.

But if you've never seen one of these work, you'd be surprised how you can get a turbo to get up and go faster by using less pedal versus more pedal and the wastegate dumping. It doesn't take long to get it down, then you remove the circuit.

How's that caddy treating you????

Quick Reply: So...... I got to drive a chipped RS6 the other day.