RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

Fuel range display?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel range display?

Last night I picked up my new RS7, replacing 2007 S8 on which I had put 161,000 satisfied miles.

I will in due course here post my configuration details (when I can remember how to update signature, etc.); the car is Daytona Pearl, B&O, Innovation, Assist, Alcantara, etc.

At the moment I would appreciate help from any other new owner who must have gone through what is defying me at the moment, and hopefully will have discovered how to display "Distance to Empty", which surely is needed even more, now that the fuel gauge is reduced to an imprecise sequence of a few digital bars--?

In ~250 miles so far the new car is apparently delivering the expected fuel efficiency improvement over the S8 V10 (along with other expected positives, offset by some "less than 8" quality concessions), but on the other hand this fuel tank is only 19.8 vs. 23.2 gallons, so I would be relieved to find the visibility into the range remaining, which must be available somehow...

--?!

Thanks and regards,
SENS8 (now conceptually "RS EVEN")
Old 12-31-2013, 07:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will leave it to others to figure out where the range remaining is on an RS7 (I have a new S7 and it was showing automatically from day one) but I will point out that my range remaining is weirdly inaccurate vs. other cars to the point that I run miles driven on the current tank and assume 20 mpg on the 19.8 gallon tank (I do a bit better than that if the traffic jams are not too bad) and calc range remaining in my head. My display drops remaining range very quickly for the first half tank (like 120 miles off the starting range after only 80 miles of driving) and then gets a lot closer (235 off the starting range after 220 miles of driving). Watching 20 miles drop off the range every 8 miles of driving is disconcerting, coming from an Acura that seemed to be right on from day one through 127k miles.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default still hoping for help

I haven't yet found how to display the remaining fuel range and have by now even consulted the owner's manual to no avail.

I can report however that in my first 400 miles (easy family trip, so nearly ideal conditions other than engine still wearing in) the cumulative observed consumption was 26 MPG, which I am certainly happy about (D3 S8 would not have reached 20). I also appreciate the lane and side assist, and heads-up display. I don't have experience yet with the night vision alerts, to report whether that helps also to remain safe from deer.

My car has Pirelli Sottozero's on the OEM 21" rims and it appears that in the next day I will be able to report on the Rs7's relative performance in snow...
Old 01-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just as a matter of curiosity, in my S7 manual, all the pictures starting in the section "Driver information display" show the remaining range number in the upper left corner (top line) of the display, which is where I actually see it in my car.

1) What do you have in the upper left hand corner of your display?

2) What does your manual show in the upper left corner of the display in that section?
Old 01-01-2014, 04:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SENS8
I haven't yet found how to display the remaining fuel range and have by now even consulted the owner's manual to no avail.
I am not sure it is the same on the RS7,, but on the S7 the fuel remaining is an ever-present display in the leftmost tab of the driver information display between the tach and the Speedo. There are six tabs (depending on specific equipment in your car, there may be more or less tabs) across the top of the display. On my vehicle, from left to right, there is Vehicle Functions, Indicator Messages, Night Vision, Media, Telephone, Nav.

The leftmost tab "Vehicle Functions" has a gas pump indicator as its icon, displayed right on the tab itself, with an indication of Miles to Empty (or Km to Empty) depending on your preferences.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I don't know about the other options, but the remaining mileage is displayed in the upper left if you have your display set to "Digital Speedometer".

Something cool to note if you haven't seen it already - you can see your turbo boost by putting the car into Lap Timer mode.

Hope that helps.

- Dave
Old 01-02-2014, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default And THERE it is (all the time, indeed!)

MANY thanks to the 3 post-ers above, as otherwise I'd still be looking for what was there all the time (though in my case obscured by mw steering-wheel position, and not there with night vision screen which I'm still trying to figure out, etc.).

It never occurred to me that this would be displayed full-time.

I will say that in my experience with Audis, the distance-to-empty has seemed rather accurate. I think the documented algorithm is that it integates over the last 20 miles to compute and extrapolate average consumption. On the S8 (having watched this carefully over 7 years and 161,000 miles) I believe that the calculation is set to decreasingly factor in the nonimal "reserve capacity" as the tank is consumed.

Tx!
SENS8