RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

One of the best reviews I've read...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default One of the best reviews I've read...

I've read/watched pretty much every review of the RS7. I came across this one recently and thought that it was one of the best I've read anywhere. It really captured the true character of the car:

http://www.kilometermagazine.com/fea...2014-audi-rs7/

I'm surprised how few UK journalists really understand this car. The most recent travesty is a video review by Auto Express showing a reviewer twitching the M6's steering wheel into wheel-smoking power slides, almost losing control of the car, and then declaring it a superior car to the RS7. Right...
Old 12-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great article, THX!
Old 12-25-2013, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by muski
I'm surprised how few UK journalists really understand this car. The most recent travesty is a video review by Auto Express showing a reviewer twitching the M6's steering wheel into wheel-smoking power slides, almost losing control of the car, and then declaring it a superior car to the RS7. Right...
I'm in London with the family for Christmas. Yesterday, I visited the Audi Picadilly "Digital Showroom". If you're ever in London, you have to check it out and play with the interactive data wall. Anyway, I told them that I have an RS7 and they were mighty impressed. Apparently, there are few RS7s in customer hands in the UK so far. Part of the reason is availability, and part is cost; in the UK a car equipped like mine is north of $160,000 and that's before VAT! In contrast, I've already seen a number of M6s, AMG CLS 6.3s, and even two RS6 Avants (I wish Audi would let us have this in the US). Perhaps the UK journalists don't appreciate the RS7 because they're much more familiar with the other German offerings and/or that they would much prefer the RS6 (which is 8,000 to 10,000 pounds cheeper)....
Old 12-27-2013, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Nice article that I hadn't seen. Thanks for posting!
Old 12-28-2013, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm surprised how few UK journalists really understand this car.
They fail to understand what a drive-by-wire steering system actually is:
As with the standard suspension, steering is also adjustable with ratios between 13:1 and 15.9:1 and controllable through the Audi Drive Select system. At the most dynamic setting, this means the front wheels will turn in line with the steering wheel. Feel for this drive-by-wire system is much like most other modern Audis, with weight the primary difference and a satisfying feel if not as communicative as a direct mechanical system.
They are actually referring to a variable ratio steering rack, one that is still mechanically coupled. The new Infiniti Q50 uses an optional drive-by-wire rack (with mechanical back-up), but that is the only one on the market that I know about (and, given that it's critically-reviled, that's probably a good thing).

Other than that, a well-written review.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've read/watched pretty much every review of the RS7. I came across this one recently and thought that it was one of the best I've read anywhere. It really captured the true character of the car:

Here's another lovefest article contrasting the RS7 to a Panamera GTS. Ahhhh sweet validation...

http://m.digitaltrends.com/cars/audi-rs-7-vs-porsche-panamera/
Old 01-14-2014, 01:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Enjoyed the article. I too have read many and watched just about every YouTube clip. Consequently I have now ordered one and can't wait for its delivery.