RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

Compare RS7 DRC (2022+) with Panamera GTS PDCC Sport (2021+)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2022, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Compare RS7 DRC (2022+) with Panamera GTS PDCC Sport (2021+)

So the Panamera GTS is the sportiest handling Panamera of the entire range at standard; equipped with the optional 48-volt powered PDCC Sport, it’s even further enhanced.

I am aware the price of the Panamera GTS at $155k well equipped is borderline horrible, considering it’s way more than an RS7 and offers “only” 473 horsepower compared with 591 in the RS7.

However, if we can set those two factors aside for this discussion, I am wondering if anyone can comment specifically on 2021+ Panamera GTS equipped with PDCC Sport and possibly compare it with 2022+ RS7 with Dynamic Ride Control.

I am intending to order one of these vehicles. The problem is it’s impossible to test drive these kinds of vehicles since they are so rarely ordered with these suspensions. I am looking for the best handling and best performance-oriented car between the two (again I don’t care about price, straight line speed, or horsepower advantages). I do not want an upcoming RS7 Performance because I don’t want a car that has such a significant amount of sound deadening removed; I am also nkt wanting a Panamera variant different than GTS.

The RS7 seems so much a better deal, but I’m wondering if there’s a catch. Does RS7 actually outdo its Porsche cousin in the agility, handling, and dynamics departments? The Audi weighs some 377 pounds more than the Panamera GTS; question is — is the passive and hydraulic Dynamic Ride Control better at eliminating body roll than the Active electrically assisted PDCC Sport?

Last edited by 348SStb; 12-25-2022 at 04:00 AM.
Old 11-04-2023, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 348SStb
So the Panamera GTS is the sportiest handling Panamera of the entire range at standard; equipped with the optional 48-volt powered PDCC Sport, it’s even further enhanced.

I am aware the price of the Panamera GTS at $155k well equipped is borderline horrible, considering it’s way more than an RS7 and offers “only” 473 horsepower compared with 591 in the RS7.

However, if we can set those two factors aside for this discussion, I am wondering if anyone can comment specifically on 2021+ Panamera GTS equipped with PDCC Sport and possibly compare it with 2022+ RS7 with Dynamic Ride Control.

I am intending to order one of these vehicles. The problem is it’s impossible to test drive these kinds of vehicles since they are so rarely ordered with these suspensions. I am looking for the best handling and best performance-oriented car between the two (again I don’t care about price, straight line speed, or horsepower advantages). I do not want an upcoming RS7 Performance because I don’t want a car that has such a significant amount of sound deadening removed; I am also nkt wanting a Panamera variant different than GTS.

The RS7 seems so much a better deal, but I’m wondering if there’s a catch. Does RS7 actually outdo its Porsche cousin in the agility, handling, and dynamics departments? The Audi weighs some 377 pounds more than the Panamera GTS; question is — is the passive and hydraulic Dynamic Ride Control better at eliminating body roll than the Active electrically assisted PDCC Sport?
GTS has the same engine as Turbo - can be tuned and put out considerably more power very easily. From a handling and transmission standpoint, PORSCHE all the way!
Old 11-05-2023, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

The stock Panamera is more agile and will handle better than the RS7, but the RS7 is a bit faster in a straight line despite it's additional weight. The RS7 also leans more to creature comforts and the Panamera is a bit more down-to-business. From a performance perspective, decide if straight line acceleration, or the ability to drive aggressively on twisty roads, is most important to you. If it's a toss-up, consider creature comforts. You can't go wrong with either.
Old 11-05-2023, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It’s been nearly two years since I started this thread, and naturally some interesting developments have intervened.

The 2024 RS7 Performance is a facelift car with a revised and lighter sport rear differential, increased power, and further weight loss coming from both spring and unspring areas. I suspect it will be a noticeable improvement over previous RS7.

In the meantime, Porsche is set to debut a new-generation Panamera for 2024, so that will be interesting. Pricing will no doubt be heinous, so it would seem RS7 would still be the better buy given that neither of these is a sports car; and I imagine whatever handling advantage the Panamera might offer would probably be marginal.

Three months ago I purchased a 2023 RS3, as I decided a smaller, more agile car is more fun to drive than a larger car with obscene amounts of power. The RS3 is a real rocketship: 100+ mph speeds are absolutely nothing for that car. The ride is a bit firm and not plush on the highway like my S7, but I have learned to put that in the “Get the f*ck over it” category.

Last edited by 348SStb; 11-05-2023 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-06-2023, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I have always thought its hard to compare 2 cars that are built on 2 different platforms/chassis like the RS7 and the Panamera. Hell I think its even hard to compare Audi and Porsche products that are built on the same platform (Macan vs Q5). Porsche suspension tuning and steering are leaps and bounds better than Audi.

That being the case, other than straight line acceleration and budget, the Panamera beats the RS7 hands down in my opinion. Its a better car, built on a better non compromised platform (the Audi's being compromised with FWD/engine too far forward). Interior quality goes to Porsche as well, the new A/S/RS 6/7 does not have the same interior built design/quality of the older Audis and has some cheap/creaky bits - especially that stupid passenger dash trim piece!

With regards to your RS3 statement, I wholeheartedly agree. Our other car is a TTRS and that engine is simply amazing! The RS7 is fast no question, but everything you do that is sporty in that car you can always feel yourself working against the laws of physics; while the TTRS/RS3 just revs so freely and just moves. The death of the 2.5L I5 will be a sad day in Audi history!
Old 11-07-2023, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MCRN
I have always thought its hard to compare 2 cars that are built on 2 different platforms/chassis like the RS7 and the Panamera. Hell I think its even hard to compare Audi and Porsche products that are built on the same platform (Macan vs Q5). Porsche suspension tuning and steering are leaps and bounds better than Audi.

That being the case, other than straight line acceleration and budget, the Panamera beats the RS7 hands down in my opinion. Its a better car, built on a better non compromised platform (the Audi's being compromised with FWD/engine too far forward). Interior quality goes to Porsche as well, the new A/S/RS 6/7 does not have the same interior built design/quality of the older Audis and has some cheap/creaky bits - especially that stupid passenger dash trim piece!

With regards to your RS3 statement, I wholeheartedly agree. Our other car is a TTRS and that engine is simply amazing! The RS7 is fast no question, but everything you do that is sporty in that car you can always feel yourself working against the laws of physics; while the TTRS/RS3 just revs so freely and just moves. The death of the 2.5L I5 will be a sad day in Audi history!
Glad to hear you have a TTRS!

Withe regard to Panamera and A7: they actually are on the same platform, are they not? I have read in many places that Panamera and A7 share the same vw-group-developed platform. As Q8 and Lamborghini Urus share the same platform, etc.
Old 11-08-2023, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Glad to hear you have a TTRS!

Withe regard to Panamera and A7: they actually are on the same platform, are they not? I have read in many places that Panamera and A7 share the same vw-group-developed platform. As Q8 and Lamborghini Urus share the same platform, etc.
A7 is MLB Evo Platform (as is Urus and Q8 and even Bentayga)

Panamera is MSB Platform (shared with Bentley)

They are all still technically VW group developed, as years ago VW group made a decision to clearly delineate engine and chassis development between the 3 main companies. So VW would handle development of 4 cylinder engines and MQB platform, Audi would handle 6 cylinder and MLB platform with Porsche handling MSB and 8 cylinder.