RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

ALCON RELATED CLUTCH FAILURE BEWARE.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have to side with Bob here. For one thing, clutch chatter is not desireable...

it can scratch the clutch surface, can weaken disk springs, and can damage the flywheel. Not to mention being a PITA.

Many high performance after market clutches do not take into account their effect on the other OEM parts within the clutch system. And problems result. It's fairly common. Buyer beware...
Old 05-22-2008, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which is good, b/c everything on the internet is 100% true, just like it says, all the time.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:16 PM

Default Chatter is no fun and it beats on the system

sounds like you were oversold on a performance clutch that wasn't a good fit for you. I have no way of knowing if you went to them asking for this clutch specifically, or if you were talked into it. Either way, always best to do your research before buying...
Old 05-22-2008, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No, but since this is the case w/ this particular clutch, i absolutely think

Stasis should have advised him of the proper procedures or applications before hand, that's all...especially considering it was a new product and not on my RS4's i presume. Or at the very least have some sort of disclaimer on the site less misleading about the product. At any rate, it's up to him / Stasis to work something out, which it appears they want to assist.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default He did not offer me any help, but he offered retrospective help. Who are you...

To judge. Narrow-minded simpleton. You burst out with all these obscenities and accusations to bully your point while making yourself look like a grade A jerkoff. Who in the world pissed you off that much to have such a grudge on your shoulders, lighten up man. You don't know the full conversation between Jared and I. On this forum, he's going to make it sound as if he provided excellent customer service when he knows he didn't. Of course, I never contacted them when the clutch was performing well. (i.e., "i should have called him") I did when I started to have the clutch disengagement issue. Who the hell contacts someone if there isn't a problem.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When the chattter is from aftermarket clutches it's usually more of an annoyance.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

couldn't agree more. you'll make up many seconds per lap by driving properly
Old 05-22-2008, 02:25 PM

Default Mike, it depends...

is it moderate and only when cold? Or is it present constantly? It is hard on the clutch components, not to mention the engine mounts and transmission mounts. Plus, you instinctively tend to slip the clutch to overcome it.

I've had it on 2 cars I owned and these were original stock clutches. In one case(01 Subaru) it was a design flaw, acknowledged by Subaru. They even redesigned the pressure plate springs in subsequent years to try and eliminate it. Didn't work. The fact that they kept the same trans and clutch while going from 2.0 to 2.2 to 2.5 engine/power, didn't help.

The other case was a car with high mileage on the original clutch.

With the RS4, you have a $70k car where everything is in balance and you don't want clutch chatter, aftermarket or otherwise.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I hear ya. I've been through it on the A4 but it was due to an aftermarket clutch...

for holding about twice OEM torque. It was a tradeoff and one I wouldnt do again (there were less annoying options out there).
Old 05-22-2008, 02:33 PM

Default Oh, the pitfalls of sales pitches!

I cringe anytime aftermarket high performance products, whether engine tuning, suspension, or transmission, claim better drivability and comfort. Rarely is that the case...

Quick Reply: ALCON RELATED CLUTCH FAILURE BEWARE.