RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Audi B7 RS4 Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steadyb
Hi, I am looking for some advice regarding the APR charger. I have suspension, engine mounts, and plan on adding a supersprint exhaust. What additional modifications (if any) would you recommend before S-charging? Thanks much,
There isn't much left to do! DEFINITELY, upgrade your brakes. I haven't looked in a while but I'm pretty sure there are more aftermarket options. My philosophy is that before you go faster you must be able to stop better. I had had my car for about a year and had really stressed the stock US brakes. I tried better pads and while some improvement was seen it was definitely not adequate for my driving. As a day to day driver they may be fine but if you plan any performance driving ( track days) with the extra ponies under the hood the stock brakes become less than adequate.

Otherwise, other than dropping a v10 or changing body panels to CF pieces, there's Nothing I can think of.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Banned

why not call JHM and get on the list for their kit? It'll be well under the price of the 'other guys' that are charging $15,000-30,000.

Also, the Eaton M90 will flow barely more than your engine will on its own at peak. You should only pick up about 40-50hp, and you will be slower than a car with just JHM tune + exhaust.

Since you're in Toronto, there's a JHM tune + catback + downpipes RS4 here...and it's quite badass. I believe it's the red car in the video. Let me know if you want to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhDcNObZLpo
Old 05-09-2011, 05:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
why not call JHM and get on the list for their kit? It'll be well under the price of the 'other guys' that are charging $15,000-30,000.

Also, the Eaton M90 will flow barely more than your engine will on its own at peak. You should only pick up about 40-50hp, and you will be slower than a car with just JHM tune + exhaust.

Since you're in Toronto, there's a JHM tune + catback + downpipes RS4 here...and it's quite badass. I believe it's the red car in the video. Let me know if you want to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhDcNObZLpo
Apr kit uses tvs-roots types charger not the m90. I have revo software, full milltek exhaust, gruppe m ram air intake etc. lowered on h&r plus spacers. The launch control is pretty cool though. How much is the tune alone?
Old 05-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TorontoB7Rs4
Apr kit uses tvs-roots types charger not the m90. I have revo software, full milltek exhaust, gruppe m ram air intake etc. lowered on h&r plus spacers. The launch control is pretty cool though. How much is the tune alone?
Yes, but you mentioned VF and PES...then said you found an M90 and are going to use that???

The APR kit is fairly decent. I'd say it's probably a bit undersized for the application, but still will garner you decent performance. The RS4 engine can handle more power than the flow of the TVS1320 will allow it to make. Take note - the JHM car in that video that ran 12.4 has recently run 12.30...on 91 octane. He's only running exhaust/tune and a couple of LW mods, and he's only 4 tenths off the time APR posted with a supercharger on 93 octane...and APR stripped out the backseat and trunk floor etc.

Certainly makes you realize that while the TVS1320 is a nice unit, if a tune + exhaust + a few LW parts are only 4 tenths behind it with crappy gas, it exposes the undersized nature of the 1320. APR has admitted they'd have loved to use the TVS1650 but apparently Eaton wouldn't produce them in such small volume for them. Too bad.

Tune should be $500-600 or something...and will work with any exhaust setup in case you stick with the milltek. For what its worth, the JHM downpipes/catback is 2.75" for a reason - they flow bench tested the RS4 setup and found that 2.35" to 2.50" setups can be a restriction to making good power as they're the same/smaller diameter than stock. The car benefits greatly from 2.75" as it allows it to evacuate spent exhaust far more efficiently. For perspective, the 4.2 S4 with a 7000rpm redline and restrictive exhaust manifolds (not the RS4's nice headers) has an optimal exhaust diameter of 2.5"...but you guys with the RS4 have headers and another 1000 rpm of engine speed. It makes sense that you'd benefit from bigger diameter than 2.5 or 2.35, and as the JHM testing/results showed, you do.

This is crazy...one of these is the $1600 Milltek catback, and the other is a stock catback.

Last edited by sakimano; 05-10-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Winterrunner
First mistake right there! Ditch the M90. The M112 is better suited, but the TVS blowers are the best for our motors. The PES, and VF are both M90's were the APR is a TVS blower. Go for the APR if your gonna do a kit. They just ran a high 11' at 12X mph! Stock everything except the blower kit.
correction...a massive Vortech blower would be far better suited for this motor! Dwarfs the TVS1320. Talk about stealth too...a friend with the JHM Vortech blower on his S4 raced someone who had no idea he had a supercharger. It's virtually undetectable except at idle. Awesome.

http://vortechsuperchargers.wordpres...-into-the-11s/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KIaksAWJb8

Last edited by sakimano; 05-10-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

poor little what's left of aw
Old 05-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Superchargers

I honestly had not been keeping up.

Is there anyone with an RS4 that is extremely happy with their supercharger?

Who makes it? How much? Can you send links?

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2011, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't have a SC on my RS4 but have driven a couple of cars with the APR SC kit.

IMO it is an impressive bit of kit and really transforms the RS4 power wise, whilst retaining OEM like smoothness and noise levels.

If I was looking for more out of my RS4 I'd definitely have the APR SC kit on my list.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Proper kit

Maybe I am in la la Land but now that I've looked at the compressor maps side by side it seems a bottom of the line Whipple or Lysholm twin screw would best suit our 4.2! I am no tuner ace but I have SC'd an e39 540 and looking at the T. Screws compressor maps compared to the current options is a no brainer.. in every way. A 500 cfm pair of Eatons for 12k-15k feels like a bad joke.

The TVS gets its foot into the realm of performance I seek but a Lysholm W100 or W140 at 1120 & 1430 cfm seems ideal with room to grow. I'd think that using a blower with more than enough power then restricting it beats using an inefficient & under powered blower that's going to heat soak simply bc its being pushed to & in many cases beyond its limit. If I am off base here someone please correct me!?

I have to believe there's a like minded Tuner out there who under promises and overpowers.? In the mean time I'm getting the APR system and maybe/hopefully I'll love it. If not I will attempt a blower swap, a few more mods and tune.

I wish I knew of a Tuning Guru here in Seattle. Does anyone?
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2011, 12:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default sea-town

Seattle area: there is AMD in Woodinville, that has probably worked on the majority of RS4s in the region. Jason the owner is apparently in the final stages of designing a high-powered S/C system for our model. I say 'apparently' since it's nearly impossible to get him to call/email you back .. and he never updates us on forums or his website.

So - let us know what you find out, if you make contact!

http://www.addictmotorsport.com/

Quick Reply: Audi B7 RS4 Supercharger