RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

The big decision, Carbon Fibre or Brushed Aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The big decision, Carbon Fibre or Brushed Aluminum

I edging closer to pulling the trigger on the RS4..

My question is this, should I go with carbon fiber?

Normally I would say no. My current Dolphin Gray S4 has Silver Alcantara and brushed aluminum. It goes perfectly with the exterior color.

That said, I am 99% certain I am getting Daytona Gray. I just love colors like Dolphin and Daytona. They provide to me the best of black without the problems and the best of silver without the boredom (no offense).

So here's the rub. I would love to get Brushed Aluminum for the Daytona Gray, I think it would match perfect. But I think its inconsistent with the interior of the engine bay, which has carbon fiber.

Am I being too nitpicky? Any favorites here between the two?
Old 06-16-2006, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I was really anti-carbon, but my RS4 has carbon...

Honestly, the main reason I ended up with carbon was due to the confusion early in the ordering process about whether aluminum would be available on the launch cars.

I have always thought carbon looked kind of plasticky and a little overdone. I appreciated some tasteful carbon accents in cars like a yellow GT3 or a 360 Challenge, but I thought it looked somewhat chintzy in a sedan like an Audi. I was especially turned off by the RS6's carbon interior.

When it came time to order the RS4, and thinking it was carbon or nothing for my launch car, I was encouraged by my dealer to come look at their 25th anniv car with the "special" carbon trim. The carbon in that car is the same as the RS4, and it is considerably nicer than the "regular" carbon in the S4 and the carbon that was in the RS6. It has considerably more depth and a much thicker weave. I think it looks much classier. Sometimes I think the aluminum would be nice to lighten the interior a little, but then I also think that hey, this is a very rare car and deserves something a little bit sportier and unique.

This is also coming from a big aluminum fan - my 911's interior is riddled with silver on black aluminum look pieces

Bottom line - either will look good and Daytona matches nicely with both the carbon and the aluminum.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:52 PM

Default My problem with carbon is this...

It never seems to look good in daylight, especially direct sunlight.

I am basing this though on the B7 S4. But you are saying the carbon in the RS4 is better? I'll have to look closely at the dealer.

My problem with aluminum though is that I am seeing it in more and more mainstream cars. Everything from Nissan Muranos to Mustangs. Granted they are not as high quality as the S4's aluminum, but it is starting to be not as special.

My other issue with carbon is that it doesn't work well with Alcantara. I hope to eventually re-apolster my seats in the RS4 to look like the Alcantara option in my S4. If I go with carbon fiber, that kind of clashes right?

Also, who really looks in the engine bay much? Maybe once in a while, its not like its in the same visual frame as the interior, nobody is going to see the inconsistency..
Old 06-16-2006, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What are you talking about? I have CF in my B7 S4 and it looks fine.

Also, why would you worry about what it looks like when the direct sunlight hits it anyway? In any case I don't think it looks bad.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

funny because I'm just the opposite..I like the finer weave better.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:33 PM

Default Well actually I meant daytime in general, but also I don't think it matches the Alcantara

It's just a preference. A lot of people don't like the aluminum.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah it's definitely one of those personal preference type of things.

Personally I'm glad I got the CF because I've had various forms of brushed and matte aluminum before so it's a nice change of pace.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:55 PM

Default I've decided on aluminum and here's why..

Because I plan on putting in the Euro spec steering wheel and that has the aluminum bottom to it, which I think will look a lot better against aluminum than CF.

But anywa, its a taste thing for sure. I don't think either look bad.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:23 AM
Elder Member

me too. i wish the RS4 weave was finer. but i'll just suck it up ;-)
Old 06-17-2006, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah man, I'm feeling real sorry for you buddy :-)