RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Brakes - pads worn out as well as rotors on the front - NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes - pads worn out as well as rotors on the front - NEED HELP

So it has been over a year since I bought this car. sent the car in this morning since I have been hearing screaching noises from the front brakes. Audi replied to tell me that my brakes pads and rotors are worn out and it will cost me $1700 to replace.

What do you think I should do here? Should I replace them with stock or go with something different?

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default a couple of considerations...

....first, how long do you plan to keep the car? Obviously, if you plan to keep it longer than 2 more years, the cost of doing this potentially annual brake/rotor replacement will exceed the cost of buying the Alcons from Stasis, so you could make a pretty decent argument for getting those instead (which AFAIK is the only aftermarket option at the moment).

The other consideration is whether you can do the work yourself. Replacing rotors and pads is a pretty easy job....you don't even have to bleed the system, since you wouldn't disconnect the caliper lines. Personally, I'd price out the cost of the parts alone and do a little cost analysis over time on that option vs. the Stasis/Alcons. Pads are likely cheaper for the Alcons...not sure about the cost of replacement rotors vs. the stock units.

The unfortunate situation in your case is that the car is probably sitting at the dealership in pieces....kinda leaves your *** over a barrel, in a sense.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I would call BS and tell them you are coming in and want to take a look....

First of all your rotors would cost more than $1700 for two without the pads and labor. Second is why did your pad sensor not go off and warn you that the pads were worn? It's a big fricking round light in the middle of the dash! If it didn't go off then that sounds like a warrantee issue and they should cover it all. Read your manual about the warning light and sensor wires in the pads.

I heard that BS from a non Audi dealer one time. I told them I was pissed and to stand by I was coming over to see the rotors and pads. They called back in a panic and the entire story had changed; well Mr. Evil Buddha, were didn't mean that they HAD to be replaced but just that we recommended that they should be.

What a quick way for a dealer to make a buck, they change the pads and charge $1700 for the job. Did you ask them if the rotors could be turned? That might not be possible but I would ask.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Brakes - pads worn out as well as rotors on the front - NEED HELP

Hearing screeching noises would mean that your pads have gone down to metal on metal with your Rotors. Not good and means replacing pads and rotors. Do you track the car?? If so you should have been watching your pad thickness so you would not damage your rotors. However this IS a Warranty issue if your pad sensors did not work. My pad sensors on both front sets of pads burned out or fell out without activating the pad sensor light also. I would hold the Dealer to a set of Rotors due to the sensor not working. The sensors will still be there plugged into the car and not attached to the pads.
You relied on the system to protect your Rotors and system did not work!!! Warranty time!!

Buy a good set of Ferodo DS 2500 pads for the front. Great pads for the track and work well on the road. Much less noise and brake dust. Takes two sets of Ferodo part number is FCP1664H Zeckhausen racing part number 63-360-1029 Brembo GT8

Don't put up with any Sh--t. Demand new Rotors under Warranty..

Good Luck
Old 10-11-2007, 06:18 PM

Default that's right, Evil...

it seems like every brake job these days involves new rotors and muko bucks. Honer's screeching brakes are an exception, but your story sounds about right. what a scam! good move on calling the weasels on it.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: a couple of considerations...

that's what i'd do...and do.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default We did the cost-benefit analysis on stock rotors vs. Alcons

You'd have to buy 3 sets of stock rotors to equal the cost of the Alcons. IIRC a set of stock rotors from Carson at Riverside is around $825. Once you put in racing brake fluid (Motul RBF-600, Castrol SRF) and good pads, like the Ferodo DS2500, they're great brakes.

So, for a DIY it's

$825 1 set RS-4 Front Rotors
$368 DS2500 pads (2 sets)
$50 RBF-600 fluid
---------------------------
$1218 Parts

I have 35K miles and four 2-day track events on mine, and have only had to replace pads and fluid.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Re: We did the cost-benefit analysis on stock rotors vs. Alcons

does it not amaze you the cost of rotors and pads? the markup on items such as these is nothing less than grotesque.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pads aren't bad. We just need 2 sets (8-pads)

Rotor prices suck! But then again the Stasis Alcon kit is about $3800.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:24 PM

Default yeh, i guess the pads are within reason

i'm just amazed at the prices, compared to going back just a few years. as far as the mfg process goes, this stuff is not costly to make. but the prices are way too high.

Quick Reply: Brakes - pads worn out as well as rotors on the front - NEED HELP