RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Clean Sub Install Finished!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Costs...well check online for parts that i specified here....

Custom box cost me $400 i believe and ancillary costs for wiring/fuses etc. It isn't a cheap endeavor for a single sub.

The local shop seems pretty knowledgeable and I inquired about changing the entire setup while keeping the RNS-E. They said that to improve on the factory front/rear mid-range speakers/amp etc... would take many thousands of dollars and probably not worth it unless I am very particular about sound quality.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No rattle so far.. (fingers crossed)
Old 10-05-2008, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Looks great.....much more OEM-looking than mine......

Agreed, it adds so much that I never knew was there.
I can imagine that changing the tweeters/mids to higher quality would have a big impact also...but it would be pretty pricey.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Very nice work!... Some questions.

1)Was the remote wire(on/off wire) taken off the old amp or did you have to snake it back from the head unit?
2)What was the process for connecting the RCA wires? Did you get them off the old amp or did you start fresh and wire from them back from the head unit?
3)Was there an improvement in treble sound quality out of the speakers after the sub install?

Very nice work, I thought the OEM sound quality was decent but then remembered when I "hooked" up my Pathfinders sound system with 2x12" subs, amp, speakers and head unit that it was a world of difference. I'd like to do it for the RS4 but it's a little different ripping panels, and carpeting off such a nice car. Although it seems as if there isn't much to disassemble since the battery is in the back.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Very nice work!... Some questions.

1. install guys found the amp wasn't getting enough of an "ON" signal, so the amp was flickering on/off during playback. apparently the factory remote wire didn't have enough power for the amp to tell ON. ran an accessory remote wire from the front dash, the same one that works my radar detector so when the key is in ignition, amp is on.

2. connected the small factory sub signal wires that came out of the factory amp to input into the alpine amp. replacing the factory amp is complicated as it is integrated with the mic and other electronics.

3. treble improvement? i didn't notice, but then again i wasn't really paying attention. if i said there was, it's probably because there is now a wider range of frequencies available to my ear, so the treble might sound better.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Clean indeed, once you get the round frame I agree that is the cleanest sub/amp

addition so far. Well thought out and done. I would need a cover for the cone but i do agree it looks good exposed.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Very nice! Well done!
Old 10-06-2008, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Nice!
Old 10-06-2008, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks everyone! I'm feelin da AW love.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I actually like the square frame they did. Looks like it flows with the rest of the trunk.

If you want protection for the sub but still want to see it, you could have them do a lexan cover with some slots cut into it for the sound to travel through. You could even make the slots into a circular pattern if you want to see something round there.

Quick Reply: Clean Sub Install Finished!