RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Clear bra & 35% tint pics.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big 2nd. I'd rather have a couple of paint chips. One of the best CB installs I've seen though.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I took the clearbra off of the front of my daughter's TT and there were no issues.

What did happen was that the edges of the film were starting to lose adhesion and lifted up and collected dirt. Probably a poor installation job. Previous owner had it done.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:37 PM

Default I don't understand why they couldn't cut the hood piece to perfectly fit the curve?

Why couldn't they have extended the piece to the maximum length and then cut along the curve of the inner part of the hood? That way you'd have no edges showing?

And can anyone confirm what the effect of the clear bra will be on the paint?

The thing I don't get about clear bra is that because its so expensive, wouldn't it just be cheaper to repaint a panel than redo the clear bra? Especially when its custom?
Old 06-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fluffhead, I just noticed that the paint reflects so well that it gives a pretty good image of you

in the reflection in the door panel. Now everyone will click on to see what you look like.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have taken several clear bras off at 2-3 years and there has been no noticeable difference.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Answers......

The hood is 48" wide, not sure how long but it's not 48". The hood also has bumpes in it and the front of the hood curves down. Now if this was a Porsche or Ferrari, the whole hood is easy b/c they are flat with no curves and they aren't usually that large. So b/c of the size of the hood the clear bra will fit from top to bottom but then with all the curves you lose material in those corners. Yes, you can stretch clear bra and that is what it done on the bumpers to allow a one piece application, but stretch markes are a lot more noticiable on the hood so they try to do as little as possible. There are clear bra materials that will cover the entire hood, but those materials won't look good 6 months from now like the 3M does.

As long as the clear bra is treated like the rest of the car, meaning regular wash and wax etc, there shouldn't be a difference in the non clear bra sections vs the clear bra sections if removed from the car.

For me repainting the car isn't an option. It might come out to a bit more to re-clear bra a car, but a good clear bra install should stay looking good for 3-5 years. One of the first thing a dealer asked when trading in a car is if it has been repainted. Original paint keeps more of the cars value.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:16 AM

Default Great info, one other question...

The clear bra looks really glossy when its new. Does it eventually get swirls or scratches much like a clear coat? Or is it more resistant if its kept properly waxed?
Old 06-28-2006, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It basically acts like a clear coat, take care of it and it will look great for years.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: It basically acts like a clear coat, take care of it and it will look great for years.

Just checked with my dealer and there is a 3M kit now available for the RS4
Old 06-28-2006, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Nice work on the clear bra installation.

Quick Reply: Clear bra & 35% tint pics.....