RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

DSC update - Need new front struts...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've never heard of anything like this DRC on other cars..

The suspension system on a 70k+ car should ABSOLUTELY not be as prone to leaking/failure as I've been reading (here and RS6 forum). The fact that Audi has warranted them for only 12k miles is rediculous.

I've never heard of such a thing.

I really want an RS4.. but to know that I'm going to pay 3-5k to repair a problem Audi is unacceptable.

I'm not a litigious person, but from what I've read, RS6 and now it seems RS4 owners should band together and file a class action to force Audis hand on this one.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:34 PM

Default actually, it's pretty typical

no mfgr covers shocks and suspension under general warranty terms. just like clutch, tires, and brakes. you're lucky to get 12 months.

also, leaking shocks is indeed a sign of wear and tear, with shock fatigue and failure almost always linked to loss of hydraulic integrity. it has nothing to do with DRC. DRC leakage is another matter due to its design, and it is a defect.

so let's stop shouting about suspension warranties and limit it to DRC warranty issue please. anybody who thinks they are entitled to 4/50 warranty on their shocks or suspension is on another planet.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Mercedes has been using it or similar for years...

it's Audi who seems to have designed it poorly(or allowed it to be designed poorly) and my guess the reason they keep using it is to recoup investment money. you can't put $millions R&D and mfg into a system and then bail on it after a small production run. it doesn't happen that way. right or wrong.

as for warranty, they need to do a special supplemental suspension warranty for DRC under the form of a TSB or recall. they can't just ignore their existing suspension warranty terms on a case by case basis.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Mercedes covers their version (Active Body Control) Under Warranty..

Per both their regular (factory and extended warranty docs)

"Suspension: Coverage includes all suspension components and the Adaptive Damping System or Active Body Control."

This may very well push me in the direction of a C63.

It's the fact that Audi should clearly know about the problem and is seemingly sticking their owners with the bill that really bothers me!!

Old 12-29-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Per some Tech bulletins on the Mercedes ABC System..

They had problems with hydraulic fluid contamination causing corrosion + leakage as well as high pressure hoses burst issues.

Both were covered by a TSB and repaired without charging the owner.

Sounds like enough people need to make noise to get Audi to issue a TSB and deal with it.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Does "upgrading" the suspension of an RS4 w/. Stasis kit void warranty?

Clearly they wouldn't cover the suspension part, but would the rest of the car be covered?

I'm concerned that if anything happens in the driveline, Audi/dealer will chalk it up to modified suspension and I'd be SOL.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:08 PM

Default their should be language in there re material defect vs normal wear and tear

let's see the warranty stmt in its entirety re Mercedes suspension.

i agree that Audi, knowing there is a problem, should not be sticking it to the owners.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:10 PM

Default i don't know...

but i can't imagine it would void warranty on non suspension items. Driveline is a tough call, i can see your logic. you always risk warranty denial with mods. that's just a fact of life.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:13 PM

Default exactly,

that's what has to happen. two things will typically determine a TSB: 1) known defect, and 2) incidence of repair(i.e. % of vehicles affected).
Old 12-30-2007, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

How different is the RS4 DRC from the C5 RS6 DRC? The RS6 DRC is covered under the 50K warr.

Quick Reply: DSC update - Need new front struts...