RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

ECS Tuning H-Pipe installation and review (edited for pic captions)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice write-up, but...

...what's with the NAPA 2.5 stainless steel sleeve clamps? I hope this isn't ECS' long-term plan.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ECS actually contacted ME @ 9 a.m. ... they are working on that...

In my experience, the stainless steel strap (sleeve) clamp is a good solution to joining two equal-sized pipes (butt-joint). I've used them in several applications for 17 years and they are strong, durable, they don't leak, can be reassembled dozens of times, they won't crimp or damage the pipes, and are reasonably tidy and neat looking.

But it needs to be sized smaller for this application. A solution to the clamp is expected today.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default That sounds about right - the Remus Muffler on my A4 requred cutting

and they charged ~US$40
Old 01-11-2008, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Thanks for the write up - I like that there is no droning - but how much louder is it inside the car

with the windows up? And I realize this is all subjective.

TIA
Old 01-11-2008, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default answers....

Inside the car with windows up:

Steady-throttle flaps closed is about the same as stock with flaps opened.

Throttle change with flaps closed, you can most certainly tell that it's louder.

Throttle change with flaps open, it is too loud for me, but I'm super-sensitive to noise. I'll probably open the flaps far less often, now.

Standing behind the idling car: Flaps closed, nice, low, subdued sound not obnoxious or loud at all. With the flaps open at idle, well let's just say it's not suitable for all situations - it doesn't exactly sound like a luxury car anymore idling with the flaps open.

Hope that helps. Everybody's taste and/or tolerance for exhaust noise is different.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:36 AM
kem
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wow, your results seem far different then mine.

I of course just had the resonators cut off and some new piping welded just where the resonator was. I wonder if the length of pipe makes a difference, or if its just the hooks it has that keep the pipes from rattling (maybe thats why mine sounds different).

Please post a video clip if you can, I am super curious.

Mine is super loud in lower RPMS but it sounds great, but in the high end its very raspy which I don't like. I've posted my sound clip for reference.<ul><li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSgoBJhfsUk">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSgoBJhfsUk</a</li></ul>
Old 01-11-2008, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do you have a crossover?

An H-pipe will attenuate certain resonances and is used in OEM applications for sound control. Most of the isolated twin exhausts I've seen (without an H or X crossover) sound raspy. The position of the crossover (fore, aft, middle) is important as well.

Don't hold your breath for audio clips as I don't have the equipment to do it right and apparently neither do most other people, because nearly every exhaust clip I've heard has terrible sound quality! However, the raspyness is obvious in your sound clip.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:29 AM
kem
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I filmed mine with a canon powershot

Most digital cameras do video.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:31 AM
kem
AudiWorld Senior Member

Maybe I will go back and try an x-pipe
Old 01-11-2008, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good info on noise & x-overs. I'd always presumed x-overs just equalized backpressure. Mind you,

now that I think of it, one of the great mysteries in motorcycle-dom is why the exhaust pulses (hand over the exhaust tip) of any twin exhaust machine never feel the same. I'd guess it's for the same reason x-overs reduce resonance.

Tim

Quick Reply: ECS Tuning H-Pipe installation and review (edited for pic captions)