RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

ECS Wheel Spacers / Anyone use them?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The RS4 has a 61.4 inch track front and rear. From a handling perspective won't running different size spacers front and rear change the characteristics? Larger spacers in the rear would theoretically induce understeer (plowing).
If this is truly the case I would run equal size spacers at all corners unless of course you're into understeer.
Audi went to great lengths with the quattro bias to the rear (60/40) to help dial out the characteristic understeer. Adding larger spacers to the rear is counter intuitive ... I would not sacrifice performance for asthetics ...
Old 12-25-2012, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Excellent, excellent point. My comments were STRICTLY for appearance sake. I happen to hate spacers and only do it for looks and I suspect most RS4 ppl run them for the same reason. With that said, I suspect that the vast majority of owners will never experience any difference in handling dynamics from 10mm/5mm staggered spacers.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmm, very interesting. Don't really want rubbing so maybe 6-8 mm might work better. I think I will avoid the stagger as I really don't want any handling changes.
Should an alignment be done after install?
Thanks,
K
Old 12-27-2012, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
I have them on my RS = 10 and 15mm(rears) if I remember correctly - I use them on my summer rims
Originally Posted by zero2sixty
The RS4 has a 61.4 inch track front and rear. From a handling perspective won't running different size spacers front and rear change the characteristics? Larger spacers in the rear would theoretically induce understeer (plowing).
If this is truly the case I would run equal size spacers at all corners unless of course you're into understeer.
Reggie, have you noticed any problems or oversteer with your setup? (10mm & 15mm)

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Excellent, excellent point. My comments were STRICTLY for appearance sake. I happen to hate spacers and only do it for looks and I suspect most RS4 ppl run them for the same reason. With that said, I suspect that the vast majority of owners will never experience any difference in handling dynamics from 10mm/5mm staggered spacers.
For normal street driving / straight-line acceleration / general cornering there should be no issues. The only time one would detect increased understeer due to increasing the rear track vs. the front would be spirited-plus driving in the twisties or on the track (road course). I suspect you'd have to be at 6/10ths +. Rarely is this safely acheived on public roads.
Personally I wouldn't run different size spacers. My opinion: The factory dialed in the handling and the last thing I'd want to do is mess with this in the name of aesthetics. Running the same size spacers still looks great but has far-far less effect on handling.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by gesTTalt
Are the ECS spacers smaller in diameter than the face of our stock wheels?
Originally Posted by ECS Tuning-Audi
They shouldn't be.

Jason

These are ECS spacers for rs4 I ordered over the summer. Strange these are smaller than face of the oem wheel.

No vibrations or anything but Just looks odd when your looking inside the wheel with the step down.
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2013, 05:57 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Could you post up the part number that's etched on to the spacer?

Jason
Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning-Audi
Could you post up the part number that's etched on to the spacer?

Jason
Jason ....
Could you post a reply. I haven't installed mine yet but I'm very interested in this "step down".
Thanks,

10mm spacers-
My number:
ECS#1055
Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by zero2sixty
Jason ....
Could you post a reply. I haven't installed mine yet but I'm very interested in this "step down".
Thanks,

10mm spacers-
My number:
ECS#1055
That is a 139mm diameter spacer. 149mm would be ideal so there is no "step down" but the 139mm will still function just fine.

Really the only difference would be the appearance a 149 would match the hub size so there's no step down.

Unfortunately for the Audi fitment 10mm spacer we never made one in 149mm diameter. We do plan on having this available in the future.

Jason
Old 01-04-2013, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by G35Dalf
Reggie, have you noticed any problems or oversteer with your setup? (10mm & 15mm)

Thanks!
Nope but I am running 8.5"x19 ET35 rims vs OEM 9x19 ET29

Quick Reply: ECS Wheel Spacers / Anyone use them?