RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Fan is still on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan is still on?

Hi everyone,
My RS4 fan suddently turned on by itself after having it parked for a couple of hours? I didn't drive any different today than any other work day. I got home, turned off the engine, and didn't hear a thing. A couple of hours later, I hear this fan noise coming from my garage. It was the fan in my RS4. My wife's previous acura did the same thing. What gives? Is this something I should have the dealer look at? This is the first time this has happened. Please advise. Thank you.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anyone? I am not sure if this is the auxillary electric fan or the auxillary radiator fan. I am just concerned that this will drain the battery by morning time.

Is there a way to shut the fan off manually?
Old 09-11-2009, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Where do you live? Has it been really hot? What has been the oil temp when you shut the car off? Can you just open the hood so the heat soak isn't so bad? Electric fans can turn on when the engine is off, but its usually only when the engine is extremely hot. Just a suggestion, but try making sure the A/C is completely off when you turn the car off.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverRS4
Where do you live? Has it been really hot? What has been the oil temp when you shut the car off? Can you just open the hood so the heat soak isn't so bad? Electric fans can turn on when the engine is off, but its usually only when the engine is extremely hot. Just a suggestion, but try making sure the A/C is completely off when you turn the car off.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried all of that...the fan kept running throughout the entire night. And of course, I awoke this morning not being able to start my car. I wasn't surprised though...as I knew the running fan would eventually run the battery dry. I got the car jumped this morning, and drove right to my friendly Audi dealership. I mentioned that it could be a problem with the relays...but I will have to wait and see.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My service advisor just informed me that it was a "faulty" auxillary fan module. The part(s) won't arrive until Tuesday. Now I am stuck with a jetta for the next few days. Oh well.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

They finally received the "right" part...but couldn't revive the dead battery. My advisor said that a new battery with installation will cost be $365!?!? WTF...the faulty auxillary module resulted in my battery being completely drained, and now Audi wants me to pay for a new battery. Can I afford the $365? Of course. But I don't think I should have to pay for a new battery when it was functioning perfectly fine before the auxillary module went out.

This may be a moot post...but just had to vent a little
Old 09-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ahhh.....they should be paying for that because it is due to a warranty item. I will push them a couple more times and then call AOA and see what they say. This just sound wrong.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TNT13
Ahhh.....they should be paying for that because it is due to a warranty item. I will push them a couple more times and then call AOA and see what they say. This just sound wrong.
Thanks for the response. They had my car and wouldn't release it unless I paid the amount. I got the amount reduced by about $100.00...but still, I had to pay about $260 for a battery and installation. I didn't want to keep my car there any longer (6 days), so I just paid it. I will try to get reimbursement, but I am not sure where to start. I assume AOA is Audi Of America. I will start there. Thank you.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey TNT13,
Thanks again for the tip. I will be getting a full refund for the new battery that I paid for.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Glad it works out! I am glad AOA did right by their customer.