RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Five Days & Counting: Carbon Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big difference between manual cleaning and a fuel system additive. From what I understand, manual cleaning is a very laborious task, taking from 8-12 hours to complete. Fuel additive is worthless as the car has direct-injection, thus fuel never passes over the carbon-fouled valves.

Are you saying you got a manual cleaning AND fuel treatment for $475? At a dealer no less? If so, that's the steal of the century.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Manual cleaning isn't too hard, hardest part is pulling intake manifold. Spray a BG cleaner on intake valves with them closed so the BG cleaner puddles up around valves. Let it soak a while then clean em off with a pick and a little brush, blow it all out with air gun
Old 03-30-2011, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spagolli94
Big difference between manual cleaning and a fuel system additive. From what I understand, manual cleaning is a very laborious task, taking from 8-12 hours to complete. Fuel additive is worthless as the car has direct-injection, thus fuel never passes over the carbon-fouled valves.

Are you saying you got a manual cleaning AND fuel treatment for $475? At a dealer no less? If so, that's the steal of the century.
That is exactly what I'm saying. $475.

Remove intake manifold.
Clean Valves.
Clean flaps/vanes.
Replace manifold.
Fuel System Treatment.

The service invoice reads as follows -

"Customer states there is carbon buildup on intake valves, runners and intake manifold. Customer Request. GFF - no codes - may have ECM software update available - customer declined update.

Bleed off high side fuel pressure, remove intake manifold, take photos of intake valves for customer request. Media blast intake valves. Take photos for customer request. Replace intake gaskets. Reinstalled intake manifold. Perform fuel induction service to clean injectors."
Old 03-30-2011, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And there's your reason for the fuel treatment - it cleans the injectors. That reason, and keeping the combustion chambers clean, is why I run fuel treatment in every tank of fuel (25ml of RLI Bio-Plus).
Old 03-30-2011, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NoahWeb
That is exactly what I'm saying. $475.

Remove intake manifold.
Clean Valves.
Clean flaps/vanes.
Replace manifold.
Fuel System Treatment.

The service invoice reads as follows -

"Customer states there is carbon buildup on intake valves, runners and intake manifold. Customer Request. GFF - no codes - may have ECM software update available - customer declined update.

Bleed off high side fuel pressure, remove intake manifold, take photos of intake valves for customer request. Media blast intake valves. Take photos for customer request. Replace intake gaskets. Reinstalled intake manifold. Perform fuel induction service to clean injectors."
Wow, I wish your dealer was my dealer. Wonder why most dealers charge 3x as much? Even most indy shops charge double what your dealer does. Is your other service cheap as well? Seems everything my dealer does is pretty expensive.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Took the plunge

I took it in on Monday and snapped these pictures after they opened it up. These are the only 2 pictures that came out. There are tar ***** on the stems the size of marbles. The car has 41,000 miles on it. I hope to get it back today or tomorrow.

My mechanic said that not all DI systems are the same and due to the throttle body on the RS4, oil is sucked into the valves at idle and makes the problem worse then on a BMW with variable lift on the intake valves. It is just a problem we have to deal with. I figure the next time I have the engine cleaned (when the car is out of warranty) I will slap on the APR supercharger.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
pics 002.pdf (1.22 MB, 245 views)
File Type: pdf
pics 003.pdf (1.16 MB, 175 views)
Old 04-15-2011, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by benonj
I took it in on Monday and snapped these pictures after they opened it up. These are the only 2 pictures that came out. There are tar ***** on the stems the size of marbles. The car has 41,000 miles on it. I hope to get it back today or tomorrow.
My dealer just sent these pics of my valves. Car has 39,000 miles. My build up looks similar to yours. Car should be ready early next week. I was quoted 7 to 8 hours of labor at $118 an hour. That excludes parts. So I'm not sure how these other dealers are doing it for 500-

I recommend anyone paying out of pocket for this service to contact Audi and demand reimbursement for this service and future ones. You can use the url below:

https://secure-www.audi.com/us/brand...care.form.htx/

Last edited by fluevog; 04-15-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Feels alot better

I got my car back on Saturday. They cleaned the valves and also replaced the oil separator and of course the gaskets. The car not only feels like it has more power but it is MUCH smoother. Idle, shifting, acceleration, are all much smoother.

I paid about the same as you. I do not see how anyone can do the job for under $1000. There are just too many man hours.

I tried to get this done through my dealership and offered to pay them to open it up if they did not find anything. They said there is no way that AoA would pay unless there was a code. Of course they already put in the new engine management software that "fixes" the problem. What it fixes is preventing the car from throwing the code.

I had 41,000 miles on the car. You had a few less and the build up looks worse. Good luck with the clean-up. I am already saving for the next one.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by YRS
Had to bug Audi for a bit, but they always called back to give me an update on progress. After the cleaning, they evaluated the photes sent by the dealership and paid for $500 of the $900 cleaning's cost. I'm more than happy with the outcome...Audi came through.
Thanks for posting this. As I called Audi while my car was being cleaned and asked what they could do for me. (Informed them of the photos the dealer sent me of massive build up on the valves) 2 days later when I picked up the car the dealer stated that Audi would be covering 50% of the cleaning. So a 5 minute phone call saved me $500+

Be nice if they covered 100% but it's better than nothing.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fluevog
Thanks for posting this. As I called Audi while my car was being cleaned and asked what they could do for me. (Informed them of the photos the dealer sent me of massive build up on the valves) 2 days later when I picked up the car the dealer stated that Audi would be covering 50% of the cleaning. So a 5 minute phone call saved me $500+

Be nice if they covered 100% but it's better than nothing.
Now I am bummed. I did not have a dealer do the cleaning, it was a private garage. No chance of getting money from Audi now.

Quick Reply: Five Days & Counting: Carbon Cleaning