RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Has anyone every contacted Audi directly about dirty valve issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ragdoll-

All Direct Injection engines will have some sort of build up in the back of the valves. The FSI is far surpassing that rate, there is an obvious flaw in the design that the need to take care of.

The only factor that has been proven so far to minimize the rate of CB is to use an oil with a higher flash point.
Thats what I am using now. Owners that have been using it and removing their IM's to inspect found the valves clean at 8k with a very think oil film that JMSIV is talking about.

However this oil was specially formulated for the Audi FSI engine at the expense of a previous RS4 owner (RIA6) and is not an audi approved oil. All the approved oils are now more worried about meeting EPA requirement and then our engines.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RS4POWER
Ragdoll-

All Direct Injection engines will have some sort of build up in the back of the valves. The FSI is far surpassing that rate, there is an obvious flaw in the design that the need to take care of.

The only factor that has been proven so far to minimize the rate of CB is to use an oil with a higher flash point.
Thats what I am using now. Owners that have been using it and removing their IM's to inspect found the valves clean at 8k with a very think oil film that JMSIV is talking about.

However this oil was specially formulated for the Audi FSI engine at the expense of a previous RS4 owner (RIA6) and is not an audi approved oil. All the approved oils are now more worried about meeting EPA requirement and then our engines.
That's correct. But that's not an excuse to say "well the other engines do it, so mine can too". Toyota's don't. Audi's, by the overall voice on the interwebs(ha), are seemingly the worst. There is a solution and someone has to get off their lazy *** and figure it out... not me though, I have to wash my hair that day.

Stupid... everything.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Why not plumb the PCV to a breather can? You'll have to dump the can periodically.

Maybe I'll have to open the manifold and have a look, but I admit I remain a skeptic. I am NOT doubting that people have had problems, I just think there must be other factors. Millions of FSI cars are on the road. It's hard for me to rally behind the cause when I believe that I don't have any issue. I certainly do not have any idle issues, rough running, CELS... my car runs like a bat out of hell.

I admit I almost always use Chevron fuel (recommended) and I have typically changed my oil at 5k instead of 10.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JMSIV
Why not plumb the PCV to a breather can? You'll have to dump the can periodically.

Maybe I'll have to open the manifold and have a look, but I admit I remain a skeptic. I am NOT doubting that people have had problems, I just think there must be other factors. Millions of FSI cars are on the road. It's hard for me to rally behind the cause when I believe that I don't have any issue. I certainly do not have any idle issues, rough running, CELS... my car runs like a bat out of hell.

I admit I almost always use Chevron fuel (recommended) and I have typically changed my oil at 5k instead of 10.
Of course there could be other problems... all cars have problems somewhere along their life. This has nothing to do with the topic of my thread.

Again, read up and enlighten yourself on the subject.

Go here: http://www.mycar.net/volkswagen/6866031.html

That is a patent from Volkswagen AG explaining they are trying to come up with a solution to the problem. The patent goes into explaining how the build up is caused by the FSI model and how "carbon deposits[on the valves] have extremely negative effects"

Back on topic. Anyone else try to contact AoA or VW AG about this? Any remarks back?
Old 08-13-2009, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You can ask the mods for edit permission, I did but can't remember to whom.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

try here, Kris will take care of it.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2748703

Cheers

Nick
Old 08-13-2009, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You paid $80,000 for your RS4?
Old 08-13-2009, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have to admit, this thread pisses me off. Now I am not going to sleep well. I really love my car, and you had to go and spoil it. I keep stewing on it. And before I was fine. Grrr.

Curse you Perry the Platypus.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should be an interesting discussion

Originally Posted by Ragdoll
FYI,

Audi Of America already called me back today to discuss my e-mail(above).

I will call them later and report back.

Everyone should do this!
Let us know what they tell you. I've been blown off numerous times in the past 3 years.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ragdoll
FYI,

Audi Of America already called me back today to discuss my e-mail(above).

I will call them later and report back.

Everyone should do this!
They called you? Wow. My local dealer, Audi of Mission Viejo, told me TWICE that AoA is DENYING to even LOOK at the problem. They also turned down the replacement of my yellowing carbon fiber engine trim at 24,000 miles.

My engine pings like a **** under light load, even using the recommended fuel. As an experienced engine builder and tuner, this preignition is clearly the result of carbon deposits. But without even the option to have the engine diagnosed under warranty, Audi of Mission Viejo is not helping the situation.

This WILL be my last Audi. Period. The lease is up end of next year and an M car is surely in my future.

Oh, and if Audi wants to call me, here's my number 949 632 5917.

Quick Reply: Has anyone every contacted Audi directly about dirty valve issues?