RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Into the dealer with a grocery list of problems...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Repairs

Originally Posted by dmppdx
Its seems with RS4s being fairly rare, seeing 12-18 a month would be a lot. What is your assessment on how much maintenance they need? Are they problematic? Is the average repair expense much higher than a similiar year/mileage A4/S4?
Considering the fact that most of the RS4s are driven in a way harder than the average car, the maintenance is not more than any A4,S4 with similar driving characteristics.
common issue we see is carbon build-up which we minimize using thicker oil than the factory suggest as well oil usage gets lower.
Biggest thing we have is a large number of customers who disregarding personal advise against aftermarket performance parts, modify their cars just to find out it was a mistake and have to bring the car back to make numerous adjustments and ultimately ending removing those parts altogether, which makes the car to be at the shop more than actually needed if left alone.
Personal choice. As most people will listen to the advertising they get online rather than 27 years of experience on German cars in General from which 16 is strictly Audi and Porsche.

On another note, we only get to see some of the unhappy customers here who sometimes make claims based on personal frustration, comparing these cars to other brands based on past history, to those I strongly suggest to trade the car for one of their previous cars and be happy.
If we could get every happy RS4 owner to write his/her experience here it will keep us full time busy just keep up with the comments we get from them.
let's be fair and not throw any brand under the bus just because of one's experience with the dealer we dealt with.
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2011, 01:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What oil grade are you using to minimize carbon build up?
Old 03-02-2011, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 154 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by gei136
What oil grade are you using to minimize carbon build up?
See this previous post: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...35&postcount=9
Old 03-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazaki
1. Random power failure at speeds below 40 MPH (happened three times now).

2. Power steering issues (violent juttering at full lock).

3. Clutch sticking (have to pull the pedal back out with the top of my foot).

4. Passenger side seatbelt is loose (can nearly pull it out of the buckle myself).

5. Trunk hatch where the tool box is located snapped off (seemed like a cheaply made plastic lever).

6. Carbon Buildup (misfires and very long cold starts).

7. Oil burning issue (have to put in about 1.5 quarts per 1k miles I drive. This cant be normal).

8. Glove Box hinge snapped (again a seemingly poor design by Audi. It appears most Audi owners have issues with their glove box).

9. And to top it all off I opted for new windshield wipers while I was in there.

Hopefully most of this will still be covered by warranty because I really am not planning on paying out of pocket for issues that never should have happened with this vehicle in the first place. I'm impressed by the overall performance of the RS4, however, Audi service and its recognition of its problems is pushing me away from the four rings. I hope that Audi can step things up for me and stop beating around the bush. Many of these issues I have been trying to address for over a year now.

If anyone has had any of these issues I would love to hear your feedback as to what worked for you guys. Thanks in advance.

~Chazaki

Okay time for a follow up.

So Audi calls me two weeks after my car has been in the shop and claimed they fixed every issue on that list (except carbon buildup because they couldn't find any misfires).

They replaced the front left and right control arm bushings (they claimed they were split completely in half). This seemed to at least fix the bumping at full lock issue. Steering is much tighter, seems like it should be. I actually think they might have fixed this... but that's it.

They claimed the hydraulic pump for my clutch went bad and thus replaced it. This failed to fix the issue completely, and in fact, has caused more issues. Now I am having issues with turning the key to start the car - have to hold the key down now. Also noticed that cruise control doesn't work. I looked it up on the forums and it appears my clutch sensor is shot now? Either way, it worked when i took it in to the dealer...

They claimed they replaced my glove box hinge (and while it appears to be the case, they failed to address the issue). The glove box still does not close flush and hangs down on one side, really making the interior of my car look like heck.

They saw no fault with the passenger seat belt (which surprises me, as I can pull it out of the buckle by hand). Clearly this will do nothing if I got into an accident - that is not acceptable.

They did, however, fix the little plastic latch in the trunk that you pull up to get the toolbox - whoopee!

As for the oil burning issue, Audi agreed to start an oil consumption test on my car. I have to drive it for 700-1000 miles and bring it back where they will weigh out the oil and see whether its within normal limits or not. It took me forever to get them just to do this.

When I got my car back, I was super stoked. I sincerely wanted to believe that Audi had really addressed all my issues, took the time it needed to fix them all (2 weeks is a ton of time in my opinion), and actually cared about the car/me enough to want to fix the issues with it. This just shows me that they really don't care. It really doesn't take much to see if you fixed the issues. Anyone who drove my car even for two minutes could still tell you the clutch is messed up still. And to sit there and tell me that you fixed it to my face, and then I get in and drive it seconds after and almost nothing has changed? It is simply unacceptable to me. Honestly if I were Audi of America and I saw a post like this, I would be utterly embarrassed. Not only did they NOT fix my car, they made it even worse, and lied to me about it.

I am very upset and have word into the Audi dealer (called on Thursday have yet to have my call returned). I really wanted Audi to pull through for me this time. I wanted to come home and write on this forums how everything was fixed and my views of Audi have changed; but no. Instead, my car isn't fixed, and my views of Audi have further declined. I would have to rate my overall experience with Audi a 2/10 (and that's being generous). I understand that others may have a different experience, however the forums are for posting personal experiences, and this is mine. It is very frustrating.