RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Air Filter

All you new RS4's like me, I thought would like to know that a cheap $50 upgrade that I would highly recommend is the K&N Replacement Air Filter. I just did mine and WOW what a clean smooth acceleration difference it makes! When you put the stock filter side by side with the K&N, it's no question why the car drives so much better. You can FEEL the CLEAN air RAMMING into the throttle so much better! Not to mention the sound difference. It's deftly worth the $50.....this combined with the carbon cleaning and oil change and tranny fluid change...makes the car feel like new!! Have fun guys!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BADRS4
All you new RS4's like me, I thought would like to know that a cheap $50 upgrade that I would highly recommend is the K&N Replacement Air Filter. I just did mine and WOW what a clean smooth acceleration difference it makes! When you put the stock filter side by side with the K&N, it's no question why the car drives so much better. You can FEEL the CLEAN air RAMMING into the throttle so much better! Not to mention the sound difference. It's deftly worth the $50.....this combined with the carbon cleaning and oil change and tranny fluid change...makes the car feel like new!! Have fun guys!!!
Can u give us the model number and link to where u got it
Heard on other forums that certain model numbers dont fit
Old 11-04-2011, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by titanium08
Can u give us the model number and link to where u got it
Heard on other forums that certain model numbers dont fit
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2209

Believe it or not, I bought it at Autozone for $49...it was easy to slap in...the stock filter was this paper crap that ripped when I was taking it out....I may try their K&N oil filter also...
Old 11-04-2011, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I am not a fan of K&N filters as they pass through too much dirt.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm
Old 11-04-2011, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie

...and contaminate a very delicate MAF sensor.

It's been shown over and over that the only change is in ambient noise levels. Many of these so-called "CAI" systems are really HAI

Ohhh, BTW, an increase in ambient noise does not indicate an increase in power output. I've seen these "miracle" devices dyno'd plenty of times.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
...and contaminate a very delicate MAF sensor.

It's been shown over and over that the only change is in ambient noise levels. Many of these so-called "CAI" systems are really HAI

Ohhh, BTW, an increase in ambient noise does not indicate an increase in power output. I've seen these "miracle" devices dyno'd plenty of times.
the better intake sound is only part what I'm excited about...this car definitely has more pick up. I've had cold air intake on previous cars. On the RS4 though...it has intake pulling from low outside the engine bay under the bumper anyway...

Reg,

Good article..thank you...I've never seen that before. I have used K&N on all my cars before. The good thing to note, is that all the filters he tested let some dirt through...so I guess it's like splitting hairs.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BADRS4
the better intake sound is only part what I'm excited about...this car definitely has more pick up. I've had cold air intake on previous cars. On the RS4 though...it has intake pulling from low outside the engine bay under the bumper anyway...

Reg,

Good article..thank you...I've never seen that before. I have used K&N on all my cars before. The good thing to note, is that all the filters he tested let some dirt through...so I guess it's like splitting hairs.
The issue is how much gets on the MAF - all the stories about oil getting on the MAF is really just dirt that the K&N let through. I also read that the RS racing teams used the stock air system we have
Old 11-05-2011, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

The issue is how much gets on the MAF - all the stories about oil getting on the MAF is really just dirt that the K&N let through. I also read that the RS racing teams used the stock air system we have
Wow good info!! I may take it back then....
Old 11-07-2011, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I just left the Audi dealer near me in Silver Spring MD. I went there to buy another stock air filter and replace the K&N. I asked one of the top mechanics there, who also did the 45k service on my car a few weeks ago about the K&N Filter vs. the OEM. He said "K&N is great! I have it on my S4 and we've all had them here for years. We haven't had any problems with them." I said "Oh ok....well I was going to replace mine with a stock filter because I was reading online how the K&N let's too much dirt through." He said "Nope....leave the K&N, the only problems I've ever seen is when people go and clean the K&N Filters and put too much oil on them and don't let it dry properly for long enough time, and all that extra oil gets caught on the MAF sensor and causes a code problem. Then when those customers see how much the cost of the MAF is, they try and blame K&N for the need for replacement." He said: "Other than that..its all false that it lets too much dirt through" So with that note...I am happy and I will keep my K&N for now. I love the sound of it and the performance of it. Thanks guys!
Old 11-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Don't let the conspiracy theorists ruin your day: K&N's are tried and true, a million times over. An .0001% failure rate - due to user error - does not a lawsuit make.

Also - here's an article showing the peak power & torque gains that both K&N and GruppeM pile on, for RS4 application:

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/p..._in/index.html

Happy trucking.

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter