RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Lets smoke something...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets smoke something...

Tailpipes that is... I know a while back I mentioned my 07 RS was smoking on startup (66k). Well I think it is smoking more then it should. I took a video, Its cold here in CT so of course you will see some white condensation "smoke" but if you look past that there is a nice blue lingering smoke that comes out, enough to where you start the engine, wait 30 seconds, back up and the smell enters the car with all the windows and doors closed... I took a video on the startup with a cold engine (seems to be the only time it happens) here: http://youtu.be/AHZuMQB_1yY

And one of the engine revving once warmed up a bit here: http://youtu.be/FxD8QCbTkXo

Make sure you put the quality of the videos to 720p and full screen it so you can see what i am talking about... You get the white cold air "smoke" Then there is a lingering blueish smoke that you can see and smell from 50 feet away from the car. Example. I start the car cold, hop out and run to the end of my driveway, if that smoke cloud does not get taken by the wind it would make it to me, be visible, and smell terrible. Also, my tailpipes are totally black on the inside and get that way within one tank of gas, I also drive the car hard but it does seem very sooty for only like 160 miles...

Could my rings be going? Head gasket? Manifold gaskets? I really want to drive another RS4, one that I know is performing like it should. My car pulls, but does it pull like a 420hp car should..

Any thoughts, Id love to hear.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

You need to do a compression test and a leak down test to determine the cause. could be rings, could be valve guides.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A plug check might help too. If one or more plugs is much darker and/or oil fouled, well... not good.

Most guys who pull the intake manifold report pooled oilish junk in the floor of the IM. Maybe it's sucking some of that crap up.

Honestly, I can't say if the smoke is normal or not, I don't stand behind my car at or after startup. It will throw black smoke though on first WOT after warming up. My oil level doesn't budge on the dipstick so I don't worry about it. It it were taking a quart every 1000 miles, then it would be an issue for me. Does your car consume oil (as measured on the dipstick)?
Old 02-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
A plug check might help too. If one or more plugs is much darker and/or oil fouled, well... not good.

Most guys who pull the intake manifold report pooled oilish junk in the floor of the IM. Maybe it's sucking some of that crap up.

Honestly, I can't say if the smoke is normal or not, I don't stand behind my car at or after startup. It will throw black smoke though on first WOT after warming up. My oil level doesn't budge on the dipstick so I don't worry about it. It it were taking a quart every 1000 miles, then it would be an issue for me. Does your car consume oil (as measured on the dipstick)?

I will pull the plugs this week and check them. As for consuming oil... Lets see, I got the car 30 days ago, put oil in the 3 days, like 2 quarts or so. Then I just put another quart in last week. So to answer you question it is gobbling up oil much faster then my old S4... Rings? Keep in mind I am also driving it hard, but it still seems like a lot of oil use... Thoughts?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did you happen to get any type of warranty with it? I admittedly punish my car and I'm getting at least 2-3k miles before needing to add each quart. 3 quarts in 30 days sounds pretty bad unless you have driven 5k miles in that month. Even track days don't burn that much oil.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

the start up does not look too bad but you have a problem when you rev no doubt and to use up that much oil is not good.

you should get it checked out.

3 quarts of oil is crazy...I have had mine since Oct and have not put any oil in at all and have put about 2K miles on it since I purchased.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nice color! Deftly is too much oil consumption....I don't see anything wrong in the video. But I park in a garage overnight so, car is pretty warm when I start it. But if you said you smell something inside the car, something doesn't sound right....Time to take it in for a minimum an oil change....I would say take it to Audi first....and me and gibson love this BioSyn oil so far....if you care to give it a try...oil temps have been lower and drop back down pretty quick when I do get on it pretty hard....
Old 02-29-2012, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Wow that's an awful lot of oil, not normal for an RS4 .
Old 02-29-2012, 08:08 AM
Banned

should be a nice simple PCV valve change.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ahh the simple days of PCV valves. Actually, there's been a few reported cyclonic separator failures.... hmmm.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Lets smoke something...