RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Magnaflow install comments and ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Craig...

My understanding is that your RS4 was the "sample vehicle" for the system many of us are now enjoying. Correct?

That said, MagnaFlow's committment is to never "...NEVER sell an exhaust system that doesn't increase power over the stock exhaust system."

Was your RS4 Dyno'd at MagnaFlow's R&D Tech Center? If so, can you share any results/findings?
Old 06-15-2007, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Answers...

The video file that's on MagnaFlow's site was the (Daytona Gray) loaner RS4 we used on Bullrun last year.

My car is a Sprint Blue one, and other than a German TV spot hosted on YouTube, I'm not aware of any other recordings of my car.

No matter, though, as the two cars and systems are identical.

Yes, MagnaFlow will NOT sell a system unless it made hp...usually, they wanted systems to produce power ACROSS THE ENTIRE RPM band...they were fairly picky about that.

However, since I've left, they've fired/laid off about 8 or 9 people, so my "inside" contacts are gone and I can't confirm what's been going on as of Jan 1 2007.

With that said, I can tell you DEFINITIVELY that the MagnaFlow system ABSOLUTELY made a noticeable difference on my RS4.

Once I changed to the Milltek exhaust, the "feeling" was virtually identical, but the Milltek seems (to me) to be a touch louder, but also a touch less throaty (not as deep toned).

MagnaFlow does NOT have an AWD dyno and I fought regularly with the owner's son who gave me every assurance that they would outsource that work, but he never made good on that promise.

Experience and seat of the pants testing coupled with my GTech Pro indicate about a 20-25hp gain...and I believe it.

As I've said many times, I ditched my MagnaFlow because of the tips they use AND because I LOVE the thought of using German products on a German car...and the Milltek did not disappoint.

Hope that conveys objectivity and honesty.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Milltek isnt German
Old 06-16-2007, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: 'drone' or vibration?

it is a drone not a vibration
Old 06-16-2007, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Advice from an ex-MagnaFlow employee

Criag,
You are making some general assumptions about me in regards to the exhaust. Don't get me wrong... I love the exhaust but that drone just hits my inner ear the wrong way.

And as far as driving my car with to little revs? I am talking about taking off from the line. Do you rev your car up to 3k quickly from every stop light? I don't but I do drive the **** out of this car. The only time it is annoying is straight off the line from idle to about 2300 rpm's.

Matt
Old 06-16-2007, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Advice from an ex-MagnaFlow employee

<<Do you rev your car up to 3k quickly from every stop light?>>

RI RS4 does. in fact i think he does it at 5k. not kidding. ask him about it. IIRC, he said the only times he doesn't do that is when his mother-in-law is in the car. oh, and then he has a different kind of 'drone' to deal with.

Scott, buddy, just kidding around : )
Old 06-16-2007, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Maybe some can confirm this but it has been my experience that the low end drone on newly installed

exhaust systems significantly reduce within a few hundered miles. Perhaps you should let it "break in" a bit and let us know if it improves.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Understood.....ultimately, you have to be happy

I understand what you mean. Personally, my car operates between 1-2000 rpms for about 1.5 seconds per stoplight.

The fact that this narrow window annoys you again, might tend to mean that an aftermarket exhaust system is not for you....no matter whose you choose, you will have drone.

If the MagnaFlow bothers you, try riding in a car with Flowmasters or Zoomers parts on them!
Old 06-17-2007, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Understood.....ultimately, you have to be happy

Can a resonator be installed on this system to reduce the drone and where could I buy one for install?

Matt
Old 06-17-2007, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Yes, and a resonator will not inhibit flow or power much at all...

In fact the folks at FI couldnt find a measurable difference (2hp diff is tough to see on a dyno). Resonators have straight though flow so they will smooth out the resonance with very little performance compromise.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow install comments and ?