RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Michelin Pilot Super Sport Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok to mix PSS and PS2 on '07 RS4?

I have a pair of PS2s for which I paid an arm and a leg up front with about 60% of the tread remaining (6/32"). The rear tires are in desperate need of replacement (my mechanic literally yelled at me the other day).

I'm going with the Pilot Super Sports vs. the PS2s for a bunch of reasons mentioned in this thread and elsewhere. My question is whether I can run the PS2s for a while longer or if I need to replace all four now.

My mechanic suggested I keep the PS2s and put them in the back and put the new PSSs up front but someone else told me it might mess with the transmission.

Thoughts?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had the PSS on my RS4. Absolutely fantastic. Mine came with P Zero's and they were decent, but pretty harsh over bad pavement. Then I tried Hankook Ventus V12s. Smooth, creamy ride, but too much so... They were too soft for my taste. Then I gave the PSS a shot and wow. These tires were amazing in the twisties and on the highway. They also were very quiet and very compliant over bad pavement. Highly recommend.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Tires

I too started with PZero's that were nearly shot when I bought the car with 18K...I replaced with a Goodyear F1 A/S that was awesome performance but lasted me 1 year. I then went to the Mich PS A/S that were harder (longer mileage )not quite the performance but did very well in more adverse driving conditions. Got 28K miles on them before going to the Hankook Ventus A/S 3 months ago. I agree with the earlier "soft creamy ride" overall. I have just under 75K on the car (have had it for 3 years) and couldn't have made a better choice for a daily thrill ride car. I still look forward to every trip. Happy New Year everyone!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DrivingFool
...Got 28K miles on them before going to the Hankook Ventus A/S 3 months ago. I agree with the earlier "soft creamy ride" overall. ...
The Hankooks sound like a great choice for roads in third-world countries like Michigan.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Every tire place/mechanic will tell you something different. Townfair in CT where I live wont even put different types of tires on an AWD car of any type and all new tires go on the rear for safety reasons. I believe you are only in danger of harming your differential if the rear tires are not close to treadware of each other. I would buy 2 new tires and put them on the rear and replace the fronts within 3 months or about 5k miles.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As someone shared with me, "the thrill never ends".
Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MikeBinSF
I have a pair of PS2s for which I paid an arm and a leg up front with about 60% of the tread remaining (6/32"). The rear tires are in desperate need of replacement (my mechanic literally yelled at me the other day).

I'm going with the Pilot Super Sports vs. the PS2s for a bunch of reasons mentioned in this thread and elsewhere. My question is whether I can run the PS2s for a while longer or if I need to replace all four now.

My mechanic suggested I keep the PS2s and put them in the back and put the new PSSs up front but someone else told me it might mess with the transmission.

Thoughts?
With a full time awd car i'd definitely use 4 tires with the same tread depth. A difference between the front and rear pairs is harder on your center diff, which is in the transmission. It can cause accelerated wear and overheating of the differential.

The idea of putting the newer tires on the rear is because in theory it's easier to regain control if the front tires break traction and cause understeer than if the rear tires break traction and the car oversteers.