RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Need to bleed brakes can somone give me the correct bleeding order?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to bleed brakes can somone give me the correct bleeding order?

I know I need to by the Bentley manual but I don't have it yet... Does anyone know the recommended order for the bleeding sequence?

TIA-Brian
Old 01-19-2008, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default right rear, left rear, right front, left front.

if you have a VAG tool, there is supposedly a feature that allows you to bleed a 'hidden' area of the ABS system...I haven't looked into that personally, so all I know is that it exists. I've bled several Audi vehicles with ABS using the traditional method (RR, LR, RF, LF) without VAG tool assistance, and it works just fine. If you're really **** about it, you need a VAG and a power bleeder.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:24 AM

Default Re: Need to bleed brakes can somone give me the correct bleeding order?

i believe the BM says rear first. although i would be inclined to do fronts first. my logic is you don't want to bleed the rears, close off, then bleed the fronts and have some air possibly moved in the lines between front and rear again. the source of air is the master cyl. i'm probably wrong on this, but there it is.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:49 AM

Default Interesting ... here is the link from the Ross Tech site

Thanks for the info, now all I need is the motivation to head for the garage...<ul><li><a href="http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/absbleeding.html">ABS Bleeding...</a></li></ul>
Old 01-19-2008, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yeah, so I guess you're ok not doing that as long as you keep the reservoir from sucking air.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

wrong...in any car, you always bleed from furthest to closest to the master cylinder.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:36 AM

so i've heard. do you happen to know the reason why?
Old 01-19-2008, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Excellent question!

I think it has to do with the added compressability of air as the length of pipe is increased but in the end it may not matter. Dave Zechhausen is the brake expert and here is what he says:

<b>Must brakes be bled in a specific order?</b>
<i>
Bleeding is done one wheel at a time. The "old timers" will tell you to start with the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder and then work your way closer. Typically, this would mean RR, LR, RF, then LF. However, it doesn't really matter if you start with the front or rear wheels, since they are on separate brake circuits on modern cars with ABS and/or dynamic stability control systems. However, you should start with the passenger side wheel and then do the driver's side.
</i><ul><li><a href="http://www.zeckhausen.com/bleeding_brakes.htm">How to bleed brakes</a></li></ul>
Old 01-19-2008, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default StopTech's logic...

While the actual sequence is not critical to the bleed performance it is easy to remember the sequence this way (farthest to the closest). This will also allow the system to be bled in such a way as to minimize the amount of potential cross-contamination between the new and old fluid.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:32 PM

i think if pressurized bleed the opposite is recommended(fronts first)

Quick Reply: Need to bleed brakes can somone give me the correct bleeding order?