RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

New B7 RS4 owner...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sakimano
A
Comments like 'drag racing will definitely eat up your clutch' make me wonder if they are being made by someone who hasn't even taken his RS4 to the dragstrip? In fact I can guarantee that they are.

I have launched my RS4 some 50 times, and my clutch is strong as hell. No clutch problems. I did the same on my B7 S4 (but probably triple or quadruple the launches). Stock clutch for 60,000 miles (and it was strong when I sold the car). The B7 RS4 clutch/flywheel is an excellent design. Those who decry it as weak are, I think, mistaken.

I know you are referring to me and that is OK. You guys seem to know the risk you are taking but these forums are read by many and it is a crime not to let others know what the real risks are if you do not know what you are doing. I've know a couple of local RS4 owners who have had to replace their clutches already (probably the previous owners of their cars) and it goes to how the car was driven.

Also- I've met many here in Denver who now who are adopting my feeling that if you want to track or autocross - get a dedicated car rather than their daily driver as these kind of stresses can make for a complicated weekend when things break. I've seen Miata pass many cars with more hp because they were driven by people who were great drivers and were not out there because they had a name car (Porsche, RS4, M3 etc) but learned how to get the most out of a car that was cheap to maintain

So good luck on using your cars.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My little brother has a 97 Integra Type R, fun little car. He got a tow home two months ago after missing the 3-4 shift. Pulled the car in the garage and started stripping it down, pulled the head off and there was a valve stem stuck right through the piston...so it's fine...drives great!

Now I'm definately going to be the slowest one on the track becuase I will be accidently dropping it in 6th being overly cautious on the 3-4 shift. If I blow this motor I'll have to take a mortgage out on my house. On the other hand, if I ever sell this car without ever tracking it I'll probably be even more upset with myself. So it's an easy decision for me...tracking this beast is well worth the risk!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think if you're at least somewhat "mechanically minded" when it comes to our cars, then you understand what will and won't harm the car. My wife has ZERO understanding of what a clutch or an engine is actually doing..so it's easy for her to tear something up without knowing it. I would venture to say most of us on this forum have a very good mechanical mind-set, so we wouldn't purposely do something stupid to our cars. I still don't get the 3rd to 4th mix up....as it's a smooth transition straight down with the shifter....now trying to downshift from 5th to 4th..and missing and hitting 2nd is a little easier to comprehend....and none of us would ever have to worry about going into Reverse (where the 6th gear is) because of the need to push the shifter down to get into reverse....so im not worried about damaging the car at all...now by this summer, I will make sure to have a set of brakes and tires that are strictly for track use....because I've heard how easy it is to burn those up on the track..
Old 01-11-2012, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, I'll be able to reference this post when you make the 3rd to 2nd shift on the back straight.lol
Old 01-11-2012, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

LOL whateva.....I'm a beast with my shifting! I still can't see myself powershifting though! LOL
Old 01-12-2012, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Respectfully disagree...

In my experience, coilovers are one of the most enjoyable and noticeable mods you can do. Obviously, it all depends on how much money you have that's burning a hole in your pocket, but whem I got the Stasis MS for my B5, it was one of the best upgrades I ever did...and I never went to the track/road course/autcross.

The RS4 suspension is better than the B5's, but it's not awesome either. If the MS setup for the RS4 is anything like it is for the S4 (which I'm sure it is), there's a lot to gain. For anyone that does spirited driving on a regular basis, and has corners that they can push it around, coilovers are a great mod, IMO.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default car delivery

My car is getting delivered tonight. Wooohooo! the deliver called me and said he was 5 hours away..
Old 01-13-2012, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lucky Dog!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BADRS4
LOL Saki you are the MAN!!!!! I really enjoy your intellect on this forum! Damn how could someone mistake 2nd for 4th??? LOSER!!!!! LOL
happens all the time, especially on a road course because you're thinking of lots of stuff, and on top of that with the angles and your body moving around in the car due to lateral Gs you can easily miss. Have to be deliberate.

I put my S4 into 2nd once while WOT from 3rd in this fashion, but caught it instantly and didn't let the clutch out. I was damn lucky...we're talking hundredths of seconds between bent rods/projectile pistons vs. lucky as hell and going 'HOLY **** HOLY **** HOLY ****!' Can happen to anyone.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by petoria
Hahaha, it happens...FOR SURE.

Regarding clutches, Saki, I'm not going to do any major tracking or anything of that regard. This baby is gonna be my daily driver and sprints up and down the highway time to time. Is having an OEM clutch replacement good to go for the next however many thousand miles I'm going to put on it? The car right now has 75k miles and the clutch is still putting the power down good.

Thanks!
yeah, for sure don't touch it till you need it. You should be able to get 100,000 miles out of a stock clutch. Abuse will shorten that, as will poor technique. I noticed that the it's real easy to 'slip' into each gear when accelerating WOT in the RS4. You have to avoid that or you'll go through clutches quick. Otherwise, it's very stong.

The 07s had a TSB I believe for a sticky pedal (not coming out) but it was a simple fix.

As for replacing with OEM, I personally wouldn't. I'd take the opprtunity to upgrade to the JHM setup because their lightweight flywheel takes off 13lbs of rotating mass from the crank. That feels like a nice shot of freed up horsepower, so I'd do that for sure with their stage III clutch. It's pretty similar to stock feel and I think the whole thing (including flywheel) is only $1600 or so. Basically OEM clutch price.

Just make sure it's a good installer who isn't too cocky to read and FOLLOW instructions...we've seen a few 'failed' JHM clutches that turned out to be installers not following the procedures outlined by JHM. Ends of costing the customers in the end unfortunately.

Quick Reply: New B7 RS4 owner...