RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

New B7 RS4 owner...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie
I know you are referring to me and that is OK. You guys seem to know the risk you are taking but these forums are read by many and it is a crime not to let others know what the real risks are if you do not know what you are doing. I've know a couple of local RS4 owners who have had to replace their clutches already (probably the previous owners of their cars) and it goes to how the car was driven.

Also- I've met many here in Denver who now who are adopting my feeling that if you want to track or autocross - get a dedicated car rather than their daily driver as these kind of stresses can make for a complicated weekend when things break. I've seen Miata pass many cars with more hp because they were driven by people who were great drivers and were not out there because they had a name car (Porsche, RS4, M3 etc) but learned how to get the most out of a car that was cheap to maintain

So good luck on using your cars.
I just don't want people to be scared off the dragstrip or think it's some evil force waiting to hurt their car. Too many people have these ideas in their heads about the strip when it's in realit a very fun place for any car junkie. I also want it to be clear that the driver causes the grand majority of the problems at the strip. (unless it's a B5...then it's age vs. brutal power conspiring to blow your axles to smithereens)

People often talk about the stresses of the dragstrip on a car, but really the stresses of road course days or autocrossing will rattle a car to pieces. Road courses or autocross days would be much more fun with 2900 lb mid endinged roadsters, rather than 3900 lb autobahn stormers like our cars.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BADRS4
LOL whateva.....I'm a beast with my shifting! I still can't see myself powershifting though! LOL
stop being cocky, it can only go badly

p.s. want to see some powershifting??? Jason Harbinson from JHM goes 10.8 @ 130 in his full interior B5 S4...the man can drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JglEI...layer_embedded
Old 01-14-2012, 03:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default finally my car was delivered...but

but whenever i drive , there is this loud metal scraping noise coming from the rear on the left side. I had someone drive slowly so i can check it out. All i can see at night was very limited and couldn't find anything, except the fact of that loud scraping noise tells me somethings is not right. I'm so disappointed right now, cuz i was in love with the car and everything about it. I will take off the left rear wheel and i will fix the issue today and keep you guys updated.....
Old 01-14-2012, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sakimano

p.s. want to see some powershifting??? Jason Harbinson from JHM goes 10.8 @ 130 in his full interior B5 S4...the man can drive.
That ain't powershifting, you can hear that he's lifting. Here's how it's done. This fellow has perfect technique. Notice how he STANDS on the gas, and stabs the clutch, lifting FULLY OFF the clutch pedal every time. This is how it's done, gentlemen. This car runs 10.20. If you're not using this shifting technique, you're leaving a lot of ET on the table.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf357ZY1SHI

Last edited by ELEVENS; 01-14-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

found out the issue, the exhaust was out of the clamps the mid pipe was, need new clamps and a new h pipe just for the heck of it..
Old 01-14-2012, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Daaaaaaaaaaamn!!!!! Yeah I'm not doing that to my RS4! But I'll do it to yours LOL
Old 01-14-2012, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is how it's done and no worries so long as you do it fast, do it at or near redline, and lift the clutch foot OFF the pedal every time. Even the weight of your foot/shoe can cause some clutches to slip. If you shift slow, of course you'll increase the clutch slip time. If you shifting near the redline, there's neither as much torque, or "room" for the rpm to creep up between shifts since you're very near the ceiling already. Powershift at 6000rpm and you'll smell your clutch roasting.

Last edited by ELEVENS; 01-14-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'll try it...and report back lol
Old 01-14-2012, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JglEI...layer_embedded
That older S4 is FAST!!!! LOL I love how at the end he turned the engine while still driving...LMAO
Old 01-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
That ain't powershifting, you can hear that he's lifting.
Yes it is

jay only lifted the 1-2 and was in it the rest of the way. Watch a few more times.

Quick Reply: New B7 RS4 owner...