RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

New RS4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The past is the past...

I wouldn't go by past history.

Also, the Euro's rise is going to be wiped out here soon. It's at an artificial high based on a concerted effort by the EU AND the fact that the US dollar is weak mainly due to US federal reserve policy that is irresponsible and lacking direction.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Do you really expect simultaneous launches For RS models in the US

I'd love that but I think it's very far fetched.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default On the Scirocco...

The latest Automobile has a Q&A with Winterkorn. His reasoning on VW being reluctant to bring the Scirocco to North America is "Because of the unfavorable exchange rate. We'd lost money at the proposed price of $17,000."

I've read the same things - it's on, it's off, etc. That's the latest I've read...
Old 07-29-2008, 07:30 PM

Default Simultaneous with what?

What I am saying(and have been reading from various sources) is that Audi will probably speed up next RS4 development due to the competition, and positive acceptance of the B7 model. Not only is there the new M3, but now the Lexus IF-S...and others rumored to come. It's a hot segment right now.

The only reason they would sit back and take their time would be due to resources constraints. That could be plant capacity, production needs, other car priorities(RS6, RS5), allocation of company funds, etc.

What's this silly idea that they HAVE to wait until they produce the next S4 before they even start on the next RS4? Talk about far fetched. That's like the new Dodge Challenger saying we have to make the base V6 model before the SRT. Or everytime Ford redesigns the Mustang, making the consumer wait a long time for the GT or Shelby versions while only selling the base V6 POS for 18 months. It's the exact opposite.

Some of you guys are sucking up the Audi pablum. Basically, in the past, they've had to satisfy European production committments(and sales) before sending to NA. There's your delay right there. However, if they increase production capabilities, there would be no need for a delay between European availability and NA market. That is, if they choose to do so this time. And they have hinted at it repeatedly.

There were reasons(some mentioned above) that dictated the planning and time schedule in the past. It's not an obstacle unless Audi lets it be one. And I don't think they will any longer.

Economy, auto industry market trends, exchange rate...yeh, now those could be obstacles. But again, that would be a decision of choice. Not a matter of "it can't be done".
Old 07-29-2008, 07:34 PM

Default Re: On the Scirocco...

I think that's his copout. That same exchange rate affects their other models made in Germany, with the same difficult pricing considerations.

What I've been hearing instead, is that they don't know if they can justify it by projected sales volume. They don't have a good niche or fit for it. It's too close in size and character to the GTi...especially the next one.

The on again-off again comments are mainly to throw the competition and to a lesser extent, to tease the US automotive press(generates interest in the brand, etc).
Old 07-29-2008, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I meant a side by side US/Euro release.........

What you're talking about is even further fetched. It has always been A4 then S4 then RS4 and most of the german cars follow the same plan, Porsche and Mercedees come to mind. Also these are not whims, these are business decisions. If it's profitable to bring the RS cars her faster than they have in the past, they will. If it isn't guess what, we(US) will have to wait.

Also audi doesn't Build the RS cars on the same assembly line as the A4. RS cars are bult by Quattro GMBH and right now they are Building the R8 the RS6 and the V-12 TDI Q7.

They are getting better at bring RS models sooner than the last two years of the platform lifecycle. But if you thing we (US) are going to get the A4 S4 and RS4 all in the same year you are mistaken.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:10 PM

Default I know that...

all that.

You need to consider the reasons why in the past it was A4-S4-RS4, one after another...slowly. Mainly there were two: 1. lack of Quattro GmbH production capacity, which made them choose between which RS models to produce at any given time. 2. lack of funds committed to the high performance variants.

So, if Audi is to be believed, based on stmts that they will be bringing significantly increased model offerings(including RS models) to their lineup and quicker, then it no longer follows that the RS models have to wait their turn.

I believe their plan was to increase models in their lineup from 22 to 40. In fact, it was publicly stated. Do you think that means they're going to start producing small cars, trucks, vans??? It means in part that there will be more S and RS variants available on the market at the same time.

I do not think that the next RS4 will arrive simultaneoulsy with the A4 or S4. I'm saying that the RS models will be speeded up, and that they COULD be brought to market simultaneously, if Audi really wanted to do so...with increased capacity at Quattro GmbH.

There is absolutely nothing preventing them(or any other car mfgr) from developing high performance versions and base models at the same time. There is no need to let future engines, trans, suspensions just sit until you're all through with the base models.

Audi's ramping up of their product offerings was planned, but VW's money woes, the global economy, and the depressed automotive market has obviously influenced their thinking.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:53 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RS Series for Audi is introduced at the end of the platform lifetime to "grease the skids".

That being said, a 'b8' RS4 won't be around 'til beyond 2012...
Old 07-30-2008, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Latest leaks say the B8 RS4 won't appear before MY 2011 i.e. 2010
Old 07-30-2008, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The R8 is the only quattro GmbH car with it's own assembly line

The RS6 is built on the same assembly line as the A6/S6/Allroad but it's finished off within quattro GmbH. Same as the RS4 - built on the A4 assembly line and finished at quattro GmbH.

The R8 has its own assembly line in it's own building where it's basically built from scratch.

Quick Reply: New RS4?