RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

New RS4 owner question... and dyno numbers...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petoria
George at Tunedub. Did a fantastic job. He used BG Chemical solutions to soak the carbon. Chipped away at the carbon on the valves and the separator plates. Then he did the BG induction service after. He took pictures before and after. I saw them and was shocked, but I forgot to ask him to send them to me. I'll get onto that. Ask him to do the pictures, and he'll gladly do it for you. Hope that helps Karsty!
Great thanks! I'll give him a call and find out his experience with doing carbon cleanings on these cars.

I'd love to see those pics of the before and after on your car. I want to know how good his work is. Send them to me when you get them.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can you forward those to me as well? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sub1427
Here is a picture of the dyno run... the bottom line is the first run, top line is the last run. every time it pulled harder and harder... Torque looks about 278ish
Looks like carbon is eating up the steepness in your HP curve at high RPMS (where carbon hurts flow the most)...basically you are flat from 6000 RPM on, and that is the signature of a car with carbon buildup.

Saki, I actually had headers, 2.5" FI downpipes and an AutoSpeed quad exhaust non resonated, Too loud, not a great daily driver, could hear me for 2 miles if I romped on it.
you had JHM headers? If so you couldn't have had Fast Intentions downpipes. I reckon the headers were from another brand, and weren't doing a bunch. If you weren't JHM tuned, that's a shame...it was the difference maker.

The good news, is that the RS4 with 4 catalytic converters and a quiet stock exhaust is every inch as fast as a very nicely modified all motor B6/7 S4 with no cats etc. Plus, you have an engine that is lightly built from the factory with forged internals already...and great suspension, killer looks and avery fun package all around.

If you get an exhaust done, try to go 2.75" if you can. Really helps with our 8000 rpm + 4.2 litres of displacement to move exhaust gases out. The JHM full exhaust is excellent, and should be available in a couple of months with their new fabricator. So far a couple of different cars have run 12.2 @ 112 in the quarter mile with the JHM tune and full exhaust (2.75" catless downpipes + 2.75" catback). Pretty awesome compared to 12.8-12.9 @ 107-108
Old 02-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Banned

here's an example of some carbon free (relatively) dyno results. You can see a bit more steepness in the second half of the plot

this is the automobile long term test RS4. It was actually bought by a forum member when it went for sale after automobile put 50,000 miles on it. The guy had no idea...then he posted a 'hey, here's my new rs4!' and a couple of people recognized it (it had a weird option list.

And here are a couple of before/after dynos (carbon cleaning done in between).

Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Saki is this Automobile dyno chart a stock car? Or is mod'ed?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BADRS4
Saki is this Automobile dyno chart a stock car? Or is mod'ed?
http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...est/index.html
Old 02-09-2012, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Stock Sweet!
Old 02-10-2012, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

two tenths in the quarter mile translates to roughly 20HP. Getting an extra 20HP out of these cars is a significant feat. The going rate for upping the HP with mods is around $100 per HP. To me, $2000 is nothing to sneeze at. We all paid very good money to buy the advertised power of the RS4, so I'll be damned if I'll let the carbon monster take it way when it can be cleaned DIY for around $50. Even cheaper if you reuse the intake gaskets, which is certainly possible.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
two tenths in the quarter mile translates to roughly 20HP. Getting an extra 20HP out of these cars is a significant feat. The going rate for upping the HP with mods is around $100 per HP. To me, $2000 is nothing to sneeze at. We all paid very good money to buy the advertised power of the RS4, so I'll be damned if I'll let the carbon monster take it way when it can be cleaned DIY for around $50. Even cheaper if you reuse the intake gaskets, which is certainly possible.
if I bring my car to you, how much to carbon clean it?
Old 02-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mark, I did buy your car! Just PM'd you looking for any additional details. Enjoy the R8! If you have to trade an RS4 I guess that's the way to do it!

Quick Reply: New RS4 owner question... and dyno numbers...