Oil extractor vs. draining oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Did you know?...

That the use of oil extractors is covered in the Bentley service manual, and that they even lits a couple VW part # oil extractors.

I don't know what the deal with the RS4 is, how an oil pan can differ in that way, but you can bet that the dealer is using an oil extractor wherever they can to save time on the free maint oil changes.

Aside from the hassle it saves for an individual w/o benfit of a lift, I don't like the idea of constantly removing and replacing those gimpy fasteners...some of which are plastic.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Scott, have you actually tried it on yours? Or...

are you just going by Sparkhill's experience?

I don't mean to doubt anyone here, but maybe it was a usage issue that one time.

As for Crew's comments on his 2.0T, all I can say is that there are many people on the B7 A4 board that use an oil extractor, it's been discussed there a lot. I have to assume most of them are dealing with the 2.0T engine.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Some examples...

Cars owned:

05 S4
05.5 A4 2.0T
01 Jetta 2.8 VR6

Haven't done on the 2.0T because that one is leased so don't bother with self oil changes.

Using the extractor per instructions and with engine oil warm, it's pulling out all the oil. How do I know? I know the capacity, allow 1/2 qt for the filter, and refill to capacity(i.e. if an engine specifies 5.5 qts, that's what goes back in and right to full mark). If it wasn't getting all the oil out, then I wouldn't be able to fill back up with specified number of qts. Get it?

Have also used the oil extractor on a Ford F-150(4.6 V8) and a Ford Contour SE(2.5 V6)...and same deal, no problem.

You need to make sure you use it in the proper way, to get all the old oil out. Not hard, but a few pointers:

Use the correct tube diameter(2 or 3 supplied)

Position the tube thru dipstick until it bottoms out, but don't keep pushing, as it can then actually turn horizontally or back upward, meaning you're now above the bottom of the oil pan

Make sure vacuum is maintained by pumping briefly again while it's extracting

Make sure you press the relief valve at beginning, like they say...otherwise vacuum is compromised.

Finally, at the end, re-position the tube and pump again to pick up any that might have been missed.

Or just drain oil at the plug and forget all of the above : )
Old 01-20-2007, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tried it on mine ... I have a Pela 14L vacuum pump and could only get 6L out.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Share your secret to getting all 10L out on your RS4 engine
Old 01-20-2007, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry, try again

On the RS4 Bentley shows a flexible oil extractor used for the transmission, for the power steering pump. However, for oil changes, the manual calls out a VAG 1782 old oil collecting and extracting device, which is your basic wheel around oil drain pan and colletion cylinder.

The instructions are:

- Place the oild oil collecting and extracting device V.A.G. 1782 under engine.
- Drain engine oil.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Sorry, try again

The one you're describing is listed along with a portable container type...at least in the Bentley for S4/A4 models. Does the RS4 have some special oil pan?

Let me ask you this: The oil extractors that are sold and used so widely...are you saying that it's hit or miss from one car to another? That you can go down the line and with every 3rd or 4th car it is utterly useless? It's preposterous! Either they work or they don't. Most cases it's the user not doing it right, not having the patience to do it right.

Sorry, I'm not buying this bulla. In my post near the top of this thread, I got some facts/tips out there for anyone who cares to not accept a simple(and incorrect) 'no' for an answer. Outside of that, it's up to each person to either believe what they want, or to actually try using one.

So, are YOU crawling around under your car and wrestling with the belly pan and all it's fasteners each oil change, Scott? Every 1800 miles? I don't know how comfortable I would be advocating that major PITA if I wasn't doing so myself. Then again, maybe you are.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:49 PM

I don't want to sound mean, but that's your problem. How does it become fact?
Old 01-20-2007, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are you not changing out the oil filter as well?

Seems pointless to change out the oil and not the filter too. Normally, getting at the filter requires removing the bellypan anyways.

Dave
The following users liked this post:
tak lau (11-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Oil extractor vs. draining oil?